Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly GO691 Motor Issues

After some testing with a multimeter, I believe it is the run capacitor that is bad. I've decided to replace both capacitors, but Grizzly wants $45 for the run capacitor and $30 for the start capacitor. Searching to find a replacement seems to be a daunting task with endless possibilities. Does anybody have a go to place for capacitors?

Kyle

Kyle, what leads you to think the run capacitor is bad? (You may be right - just curious what tests you did).

I usually buy motor capacitors from McMaster.

You can buy capacitors on Ebay or your local motor repair shop. They should be in the $10 range on Ebay.
    CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Kaldor View Post
    After some testing with a multimeter, I believe it is the run capacitor that is bad. I've decided to replace both capacitors, but Grizzly wants $45 for the run capacitor and $30 for the start capacitor. Searching to find a replacement seems to be a daunting task with endless possibilities. Does anybody have a go to place for capacitors?

Kyle
    Most major cities ahve motor repair shops that do repair work for the trades...I would start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Kyle, what leads you to think the run capacitor is bad? (You may be right - just curious what tests you did).

I usually buy motor capacitors from McMaster.
    Dan, I set my analog multimeter to 1k ohms and tested. The start capacitor jumped to near 0 ohms and went back to infinity. The run capacitor did move the needle somewhat indicating some resistance initially, and then back to infinity, but nearly as much resistance as the start capacitor. I'm going to check at work today for a capacitor tester. If we have one I'll hold off on ordering the capacitors.

Kyle

Chris, unfortunately I don't live in or near a major city. Not sure if I have any motor repair shops close.

Kyle

Granger has something like 600 listings for motor capacitors, you might start there.

Dan, I set my analog multimeter to 1k ohms and tested. The start capacitor jumped to near 0 ohms and went back to infinity. The run capacitor did move the needle somewhat indicating some resistance initially, and then back to infinity, but nearly as much resistance as the start capacitor. I'm going to check at work today for a capacitor tester. If we have one I'll hold off on ordering the capacitors.
    One thing you might try (just for curiosity sake) is to repeat the test you just described, then repeat it again with the multimeter leads flipped. If there is some initial charge on the capacitor, you might not see the "dip to zero", but if you flip the meter polarity, you will.

In any case, it's hard to definitively test a capacitor. I'd just buy a new one for ~$10 from McMaster and see if it fixes the problem.

One thing you might try (just for curiosity sake) is to repeat the test you just described, then repeat it again with the multimeter leads flipped. If there is some initial charge on the capacitor, you might not see the "dip to zero", but if you flip the meter polarity, you will.

In any case, it's hard to definitively test a capacitor. I'd just buy a new one for ~$10 from McMaster and see if it fixes the problem.

If nothing else this gives you a spare on hand. I have replaced lots of capacitors on motors through the years.

Dan, I tested it with the polarity flipped several times and would get the same results either way. I found out that we have a capacitor tester at work so I'll be taking that home tonight to test them out. I'll look for replacements in the mean time.

Kyle

Dan, I tested it with the polarity flipped several times and would get the same results either way. I found out that we have a capacitor tester at work so I'll be taking that home tonight to test them out. I'll look for replacements in the mean time.

Kyle
    Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Kyle
    Kyle, that's because the run capacitor is only 10 to 20% of the capacitance of the start capacitor.

It sounds like you have an open start circuit which could be a loose wire, failed or stuck centrifugal switch or open start winding (least likely).

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Kyle, that's because the run capacitor is only 10 to 20% of the capacitance of the start capacitor.

It sounds like you have an open start circuit which could be a loose wire, failed or stuck centrifugal switch or open start winding (least likely).

Regards, Rod.
    Rod, where is the centrifugal switch located? I'm not seeing that on the diagram. Would that be located in the Mag Switch Assembly?

Kyle

The centrifugal switch is mounted somewhere on the motor shaft, maybe near the motor's cooling fan. Do a google image search for "centrifugal switch" and you'll see that it's really just a few pieces of spring steel.

Given that your motor starts running, though, I think the run capacitor is more likely than something with the starting circuit.

Centrifugal switches generally look like the points in an old automobile engine and function in a similar manner. The one I saw was located at the non-pulley end of the motor. Simply removing the motor end cap, I was able to blow it out.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....