Thread: Workbench solutions?

Workbench solutions?

Hello friends,

My workshop is currently in a polebarn that is not heated or air conditioned. I am looking to build a new workbench in it and am wondering if you can suggest a plan or specific wood that would be tolerant of this environment. The bench would be freestanding with the option to roller it away when needed.

Thanks

Jeff

My shop is a badly insulated pole barn building that's only heated when I'm out working in it. A/C is opening the big garage door in the summer. My workbench has a 3 1/2" or so face glued ash top with 3" x 3" alder legs and I haven't had any problem with it moving around with weather changes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 02-07-2017 at 10:36 PM.

When you say pole barn is it an open shop?

I assume not. So if your shop is sealed well that will limit humidity fluctuations.

I would look for highly seasoned, straight grained wood (no construction lumber) and you should be fine with a 3-4" thick top like a workbench.

If you want a simple bench, and not a cabinetmaker's bench, just use plywood covered with tempered Masonite.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Hi Jeff,

I think we need a little more information. What are you looking for in a work bench? Do you want a bench that the top is 3" to 4" thick made of solid lumber, or do you want a bench that the top is made of a couple of layers of ply wood and/or particle board? Add a vice or two, and both types are good benches. Another important factor is, how much money do you want to spend? A solid lumber bench can be expensive.

Hard maple is a common wood for a solid lumber work bench. Most any hard wood would make a good top. With a solid wood top bench ( 3" to 4" thick ) you must pay attention to the direction of the grain in the wood. We can go into that once you decide what type of bench you want. I have seen some benches made of Douglas Fir 2 x 4's milled and glued on edge, making about a 3" or so bench. However, the wood has to be completely dry.

Google, work benches, and take a look and find something you like.

Sam

The bench I have in the basement might work for your conditions. It's a torsion box top & leg assembly with 3/4" MDO glued and screwed to a 2" x 6" framework. Bench will break down to (4) pieces for moving and old age. Currently has a Record 52-1/2 vice mounted on it. It seems very stable w/changing humidity.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 02-08-2017 at 4:13 PM.

The best "cheap" top for a workbench is a used exterior solid wood door. You can frequently find them at one of the Habitat stores for $10-20 because mo one wants them.
    I found a new, never installed, one for a friend of mine to make a work bench from. It was only $20 at Habitat and it was 10' tall, so he made a 10' work bench from it.. They are usually 36" wide, so the door knob hole and hinge notches can be trimmed off, leaving a very flat and clean solid top for a work bench of any width up to about 32" deep, 36" if you don't mind the holes. Add some wood or metal legs and you have a great work bench surface. It will be a "very heavy" workbench that will stand up to years of pounding and abuse.

Some of these solid doors have MDF center cores. If you should get one of these, just trim the edges with oak or maple, counter bored screws, and glue with plugs to fill the screw holes. This added strip is a good idea if the door center is MDF to keep moisture out of the MDF. You can buy metal bench legs from Northern, and I think Harbor Freight or just make some legs from wood construction 2 by materials.. Not counting the cost of a vise or two, your heavy and solid bench can be built for less then $100.

This is just a suggestion, if you want to build a, cheap but solid bench, this is the best way that I know of to build one. Get friends to help get the door and to help you move the bench when it's built. You will not be able to move it yourself.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 02-08-2017 at 5:42 PM.

Thanks for the suggestions guys... After spending more time researching I have found a few different plans that do seem promising. To answer your questions Sam...I think I would opt for the plywood top variety for now as the pole barn is 20 min from home and I can only get there a few hours a week. Would love to have a better setup but the necessity of condo living has its limitations.

A bench that will allow me to do both some assembly of projects: cabinets and some furniture as well as general shop work like cutting dovetails and routering.

Nice bench Dave. What is the purpose of the hour glass shaped wood between the top and the leg cross brace?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff kacala View Post
    Nice bench Dave. What is the purpose of the hour glass shaped wood between the top and the leg cross brace?
    That's a sliding deadman. You put a peg in one of the holes and position it to hold the off end of a long piece being held in the front vise, like a door, or planing the edge of a long piece of stock.

You should google the "new fangled workbench". You should be able to find a pdf article with dimensions. Uses pipe clamps to hold stuff. Designed by the shop manager of Fine Woodworking. Made of construction lumber and shelving boards.