Thread: Fence recommendation for my new used table saw

Fence recommendation for my new used table saw

Thanks to a helpful advice from SMC members, I am now an owner of an older Ridgid table saw (model TS2412). The original fence that came with this saw is incomplete (no rails to slide the fence were included). I have another fence that was given to me (XACTA Fence II system) which is complete but huge. The length of the fence rails is almost double the width of my table saw with extension wings attached. I do not really see a need to rip anything other than sheet of 4x8 plywood in half so such a big fence in my small garage is not needed. I am thinking of selling both fences and getting another aftermarket one. Now, I do not want to spend tons of money and do not require extreme precision. Quick search on the internet brought up Shop Fox W1410 fence with good reviews for $125. Then there is the Delta T3 fence for $200.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth to get either Shop Fox or Delta instead of the XACTA Fence II that I currently have?

If that is the Beiesemeyer clone, I would just cut the rails to the length you want instead of spending more money. The Delta T3 is a nice fence but not as robust as the Jet .

The Xacta II is a pretty nice Biesemeyer clone made by Jet....with the long rails, it's likely north of $400 new. The last I knew it was made in the USA by HTC, and is the same as the Powermatic Accufence.

The T3 is lighter duty with smaller lighter tubing and a similar design concept. The Shop Fox W1410 is their "original" dual locking fence....it's sturdy and accurate enough, but it won't lift off the rails directly....you'd need to slide it to the end of the rails to lift off the fence. Both are good fences, but a downgrade from the Xacta II IMHO.

I would not get rid of the Xacta II....either cut the main rails back, swap them with someone who has shorter rails and wants longer, or get the raw tubing from a steel supply house. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-06-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Cut the X-acts rails and use it. It looks like a solid T style fence.

Thanks guys. I will get the saw setup in my garage and see if I can shorten the Xacta fence rails.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mielko View Post
    Thanks guys. I will get the saw setup in my garage and see if I can shorten the Xacta fence rails.
    Good luck and keep us posted....enjoy your new saw!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Mielko View Post

If you are not equipped to cut them, a local welding shop will have a chop saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I have the Kreg fence on my contractor's saw. You can find them at Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kreg-Precis...-Fence/3465300

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

That's actually a pretty decent product.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

Hi Lowell,

I am a bit confused.....
    You posted a link to the Kreg Bandsaw Fence. The OP was asking about tablesaw fence options.
    Have you installed this bandsaw fence on a table saw?

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hachet View Post
    That's actually a pretty decent product.
    When I ordered mine, there was a problem with the rail. I contacted Kreg and they replaced the part immediately..

I am totally pleased with the product and the company.