Thread: Tilting table for horizontal mortiser

Tilting table for horizontal mortiser

I've been working on chair parts with compound angle mortises, and I got tired of shims and wedges and whatnot. I found a cast-iron bandsaw trunnion on grizzly.com (Model H8193) and retrofitted it to my Laguna LBM 200 horizontal mortiser. I had to make a couple of adapter plates to mount it, but it all worked out pretty well (see photos below). Now I can tilt the table to any angle, which also tilts the clamps and miter gauge along with it. Much better! The stack height of the trunnion and two 1/4" adapter plates used up about 4.5" of vertical travel, but I still have enough left for most jobs. At some point I may put a riser block under the motor if I need more clearance.

IMG_3435s.jpgIMG_3434s.jpg

That's a very nice, and very robust setup. A horizontal mortiser is a great tool and you've just made yours a lot more versatile. It's going to be a pleasure to use for your chair making. Well done.

John

Great mod, John. Cheers

Thanks - it took me a fair bit of searching around to figure out this would work. It has already made my life much easier (and the joints more accurate, for sure). Hope it helps other Creekers...