Thread: For all you old timers near St. Louis - lets go to the show next weekend

For all you old timers near St. Louis - lets go to the show next weekend

I haven't been to the WWing show in Collinsville for years.

Yeah. I'm talking to you Jim and Steve and the rest of ya.

Can't make it for breakfast at the Cracker Barrel, but will be there around 130 or so on Saturday.

I have a young friend that wants to buy his first table saw. He has permission from SWMBO and everything.

He's a good guy. You'll probably see him here very soon.

C'mon STL Creekers, lets enable another young man into the void.

Gary
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Be sure that your friend goes to the FREE seminars. Snodgrass's BS is a must, along with any of Jim Heaveys from Wood Magazine. Just the free seminars are worth the cost of admission. You can steer him AWAY from the trinkets that he can make, and in doing so will develop skills. Be sure he sees Jerry Cole (he invented it) demonstrating the Dubby. If I didn't already own a Dubby, it would be at the top of my "to buy list."

Anyone know if any of these WW'ing shows are gonna make their way to Texas this year? I tried to look online last week and couldn't find any. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Anyone know if any of these WW'ing shows are gonna make their way to Texas this year? I tried to look online last week and couldn't find any. Thanks!
    Don't know. but Chantilly just appeared on schedule a couple weeks back. This only leaves one open date.

We went today. 10 years ago, I went every year for a few years, and noticed the quality of the vendors declining. Granted Lee Valley was there, as was SawStop. My buddy wants to buy a cabinet saw. All the Powermatic folks had out was a hybrid.

They had booths for windows and gutters and other nonsense in the main area. That used to at least be in the side areas. I think this cinches it. I won't be going to this show again.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

I attended the St. Louis show today. Although Sunday's hours are pretty short, my family commitments only allowed attendance today. Overall, I find good value in these shows. I'm a fairly new woodworker, so I learn a lot from the seminars.

The Carter people helped me with a bandsaw issue I was having, and in general, I get a lot of good answers from the people working the floor and the booths. The Lee Valley people are very helpful, and the guy who sold used hand planes, took a good 15 minutes to walk me though what I should look for when buying used hand tools and what to stay away from. I found the few clubs and members friendly and helpful with information on various resources available in the area. I was a little taken back by the gutter and window guys, but you'll find them at art shows.

I was a little disappointed that fewer vendors were there than previous years, and it doesn't appear that the St. Louis show attracts the number of seminars that cities like Columbus and Atlanta seem to draw. But if there is one, I'll be at next year's woodworking show and try to hit more than one day.

Oh yeah. In the interest of complete disclosure, I did NOT win the bandsaw at the end of the show.

Dave
    Last edited by David Masters; 02-12-2017 at 6:00 PM.

I attended the show today. This was the first time in at least 8-10 years.

Overall, it was ok. I have been away from woodworking for a few years so, just walking around and listening to a couple seminars was fine. I was surprised how the show's vendors have declined in numbers, but it is what it is.

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, although I doubt I could have made yesterday it still fun reading about local creepers getting together.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I didn't make the show again this year. Truthfully, there wasn't much of a draw. I reads the email they sent out. The advertised "show prices" were no better than what I can order online. I was interested in one seminar, emailed about it, but did not get a response. The last time of was there the number of vendors had shrunk quite a bit. I think they might need to rethink the format of the show if they want to grow.