Thread: VFD for 5HP 3phase Jointer

VFD for 5HP 3phase Jointer

I have a Sac FS305 jointer with a 5hp 230/430v 3 phase motor in it.
    I dont have have 3 phase in my shop, and would like to go the vfd route if possible.

I have been looking at a few vfds for the job but because of price I have been interested in the cheap Chinese huan yang vfds, in particular their 10hp vfd.
    Can anyone give some in site on if I will have any issues running the jointer with a 10hp vfd in my shop?
    Below is a photo of the motor/jointer for reference

eBay item #260995721432

Cheers!
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-05-2017 at 2:54 PM. Reason: Removed eBay link. Links to eBay are not allowed.

Hi David,

I know next to nothing about VFD's except that I bought one through Jack Forsberg who responded to a query I put on this site. His VFD's come from China. They are specifically designed for single phase input and do not need to be "up-sized". I got a 5 hp model for a 5 hp 3 phase planer and I'm totally happy. He and his associate, Matt did all but cartwheels to get me up, running and a happy camper. I have no vested interest. Price for 5 hp unit was $275 plus shipping.

Good luck,

Tim

I concur with Tim's recommendation for purchasing a VFD through Jack Forsberg. His phone number is: 1-613-298-7507

I, too, have one of his 5hp VFDs and can't say enough about his support.. plus the price was right in the ballpark for me.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

There's no reason to oversize the VFD if it is rated for a 5HP load when running from single-phase input. Tim is referring to the practice of using a VFD whose input is nominally 3-phase with a single-phase supply - if you do that, then oversizing the VFD is necessary, but it isn't necessary when using a VFD spec'd for full output on a single-phase input.

So, I'd buy one of the cheap ebay specials. Looks like a 5HP unit can be had for ~$135.

The complexity of some VFDs leads some people to think that hooking one up is much more complicated than it usually is. If someone is re-selling VFDs, the "added value" of after-sales support you get might be well worth the cost, but to be clear, there is likely nothing being done to the VFD by the reseller.

Great info, thanks so much! I will be sure to call Jack and see if he can get me up to date on vfds!

You will needva transformer as well as a vfd for a 430v motor. Single phase is 230v.

Quote Originally Posted by David Iliyn View Post
    I have a Sac FS305 jointer with a 5hp 230/430v 3 phase motor in it.
    I dont have have 3 phase in my shop, and would like to go the vfd route if possible.

I have been looking at a few vfds for the job but because of price I have been interested in the cheap Chinese huan yang vfds, in particular their 10hp vfd.
    Can anyone give some in site on if I will have any issues running the jointer with a 10hp vfd in my shop?
    Below is a photo of the motor/jointer for reference

Cheers!
    David
    You'll notice on those drives on eBay you show are really not anything special in fact they're pretty much the bottom of the barrel . You would be correct to oversizing them as you'll notice they don't actually have an output amperage rating if feed single phase . It only states single or three phase input which of course the majority of drives in the world are capable of.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 02-05-2017 at 2:52 PM. Reason: Removed advertisment per TOS