Thread: HVLP Unit Recommondations

HVLP Unit Recommondations

Hello, I'm looking for some recommend or share experience with HVLP units. We had an old Graco 3-stage that finally shot craps, I was happy with it but it's 12 years old, I'm sure there is new tech out there.

Neil, it would help if you can indicate what you want to spray, your budget and whether you have a compressor capable of supporting HVLP as these will impact the recommendations :-)

Sorry for the sparse details. I do have a compressor capable of a cup gun but what I'm looking for is a turbine unit for on-site work. We would most likely be spraying enamel paint and clear finishes.

I'm looking for a turbine unit, budget is not much of a consideration within reason.

As budget is not much of a consideration and you want portable, any of the lead brands 4 stage turbines would work - Fuji and Apollo come to mind of the ones I've used and seen recommended - sure other members will chip in with their favorites. I know some like the 3M systems with their disposable cup liners for easy clean up. 3 stage would work as well but you might have to thin viscous liquids. A good 3 stage is around $5-700 whereas a 4 stage is $800 and up. There are also 5 stage systems from Apollo around $1200 and up. I currently have a Fuji Mini-Mite 3 stage and it does everything I need very well.

There was a thread about LVLP recently which has even less overspray than HVLP which you might want to look into. As I understand it this is a fairly new tech found in some Japanese brand guns

I have a Fuji Platinum Q5 that I use with the 3M PPS system. Works great. Jeff Jewitt at Homestead Finishing is a great source of advice and very helpful. I recommending calling him.