Thread: TS sled sizing

TS sled sizing

Hi All

My next project is a 6-ft cabinet. The top and bottom will have long bevels to mate up with the gables. The idea is a wrap-around effect for continuous grain. I'll use sheet goods that I'll veneer myself.

Everything points to a track saw. But that's not desirable. Mainly because of the dollars involved. I keep thinking I can make a TS sled. Theoretically, it has the added benefit of long-term usefulness.

But it needs to be biiiiiig - minimum 6-plus feet long and 42" wide. I figure I'll use 1/2" MDF for the base and UHMW for the runners.

Does anyone have any personal experience, ideas or suggestions. Or am I just asking for waaaay too much aggro.

Thank you.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Blog Entries
    Are you thinking of making 42" cuts or 72 inch cuts with this sled?

Your problem is going to be that you will need an auxiliary table in front of the blade to support your sled. That table will need a miter slot that is precisely aligned with the one in your saw table. Since you will be at least 42" back from the front of the blade, will you be able to reach your power switch?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee brings up some important points. I'm not sure I'd want to use a sled that large because of support and access to that switch he mentions. Even with my slider, I've been considering an auxiliary switch setup! You can do some pretty good work with a simple "poor man's track saw" if need be...a straight piece of material clamped to the workpiece and a standard circular saw with a sharp, appropriate blade for the material you're using. A careful, slow cut can get the job done. Or get one of the less expensive track saws. And the reason I saw this, outside of the size and safety thing is that maneuvering large pieces of sheet stock on a table saw can take a lot of physical effort. Breaking things down carefully on the floor over some inexpensive rigid foam with a track saw is often easier for "mature adults" like most of us are.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Howard - In Fine Woodworking issue #199, there is a detailed description of the Ultimate Crosscut Sled by John McCormack, for those that can't afford a sliding table saw. I built the UCCS, and the two sawhorses. It works fine for me. PM me if you'd like more information.

Best,
    Jim

Discovered this video of a woodworker's rendition of the Ultimate Crosscut Sled by John McCormack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUYCk-kFktQ

The Festool track saw has revolutionized my shop. Found my TS 55 kit on c/l for $350. Splinter free cuts on both sides of expensive veneered plywood. Since getting it I haven't once used my sliding table.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Good question Lee.

The sled will be for cuts across the board. The TS fence will be for cuts along the length. I'll be doing one rip, then two crosscuts - one at 90deg the second at 45deg to form the long bevels on both the short oieces and then the long pieces, then rip cuts on both pieces of the board on the TS fence for the cabinet's depth.

Thank you for your insight.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Thanks Jim.

I'm confident I can set up a track saw to cut square on the crosscut but I'm not so sure I'll measure both the long rips and the shorter rips to 100% precision. Because it's veneer on BB I'm reluctant to finetune with a plane - let alone along a 6-ft length! So I'm waffling about a tracksaw. Plus I figure infeed and outfeed setups should take care of reaching for the switch.

At least that's what I'm calculating on.

Howard
    Last edited by Howard Rosenberg; 01-31-2017 at 12:08 AM.
    Howard Rosenberg

Thank you Jim. I will definitely check out FWW 199 and I definitely look forward to being in touch. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Thanks Todd. Interesting-looking TS sled alright. Much appreciated. Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

I made up a sled years ago for cutting doors up to 30". You have to support it front and back if you go full width cutting. Only made it about 40" wide. Crosscutting large heavy stuff required careful set up for a good result and for safety! MDF would never be on my list for this project. I used baltic birch. I had a couple of sleds well over 10 years old. Spend the money on materials because you are investing your time anyways...