Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem with Epilog Helix laser table when auto focusing

I had a problem in the beginning with my Helix bed being higher on one side but it was only a matter of three or four millimetres so it was only a couple of rotations on the right screw thread, but it used to cause me a few headaches trapping the machine at the top when using the auto-plunger on thin material. Currently I don't have it on because I needed the freedom to move the head over raised sides, but I do prefer it to be fitted. Why on earth anyone would recommend you use WD40 on such an expensive piece of machinery is rather silly, it frees up a lot of rusty stuff but it also congeals, I used to fix clocks as a hobby and quite often that was what had caused the problems. Whilst we are on the matter of WD40, did you know that the stuff is made using mainly fish oils? Also, this is a really good one to remember, if you ever get chewing gum on your shoes, carpets or clothing, spray it with WD40 and it will melt the chewing gum. Most amazing thing I've ever seen and I actually used it to remove a huge dollop of the stuff from a young girls hair fortunately before her mother decided she was going to go ahead and cut it out!
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Frank, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of a vast range of subjects. I will make a note about gum removal from hair in case I have that arise in the future. Thanks for the tip!
    Epilog Legend EXT36-40watt, Corel X4, Canon iPF8000 44" printer,Photoshop CS6, Ioline plotter, Hotronix Swinger Heat Press, Ricoh GX e3300 Sublimation

Good Advice

Frank, you and I are on the same page...
    I was a clockmaker for 35 years until an injury forced me to retire. Now I play with lasers and get paid to have fun! Can't tell you how many times I got clocks that had been sprayed with WD-40 once, or repeatedly over the years.

WD-40 was invented for the space program to displace water... W-ater D-isplacement, and the 40th try was the right formula. It was never intended to be a lubricant, and to use it as one is almost criminal on expensive machinery, or clocks. It congeals, attracts dust and junk, dissolves the lacquer on brass into a gummy mess, and promotes wear. It was a major pain to clean it out of a clock, and usually had caused a ton of wear to bushings as well as steel shafts and pivots.

But it's great for dissolving price tag glue and other sticky stuff, and I even used it as a cutting oil when machining with my mini lathe.
    If anyone else reads this thread- DON'T USE WD-40 AS A LUBRICANT! That's what oil is for!
    "It always looks darkest just before it goes completely black."

Epilog Helix 50 Watt, Corel X6, Illustrator, Photoshop, Sherline Lathe, Wacom Bamboo tablet and plenty of chocolate.