Thread: Jet Bandsaw / Carter Tension Ratchet-Rod Question

Question Jet Bandsaw / Carter Tension Ratchet-Rod Question

Hi - first post here. I have a new Jet JWBS-14DXPRO bandsaw. As others have found, turning that blade tension knob at the top is a job for Superman - NOT a lot of fun. I wound up ordering one of the Carter Accuright Ratchet-Rod devices. Upon removing the stock Jet rod I find out that the stock nut and two threaded collars do not fit the Carter rod - threads are different. The Carter rod works great, especially with a spare 3/8" socket wrench I had available. But.....

That was the good news. The bad news is that since the two Jet collars do not fit on the Carter rod, the Jet tension release handle is useless. I'm wondering if that thing is worth the effort of trying to find two threaded collars with set screws to fit the Carter rod. Today I did a re-saw of a 8/4" x 8" x 10' poplar board on the saw. Seemed to work pretty well and I had very little blade drift. When I was done with the saw, I used the new Carter rod and my socket wrench to completely release to tension.

So, how important is that Jet factory tension release thing?

Thanks, Jim

It is merely a convenience. If you don't miss it then you don't need it. None of my bandsaws have them and the only time I release tension is to change a blade, which is rare because I have a bandsaw for every blade...
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for the info. I'll carry on without having the thing useable.