Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm looking at all options where to put new lathe

Can you enclose the stairs leading up to the living area? Put a sealed door like you need for an attached garage at the bottom and top of the steps. Add an air cleaner with a time and run that when your in there and after. You should get very little dust getting into the house.

If you can't enclose the stairs just add the door for the living area.
    Don

Blog Entries
    No. The boss says it goes in a workshop apart from the house. Me and a friend start building first sign of spring.
    That would work just fine, especially when I'm in the doghouse. Tall enough for a loft with a bed.

My "boss" just issued the same edict. Guess there is going to be more than one stand alone shop being built this spring.

Congrats on "your" decision to build, Bill. It's nice when Momma helps make a great decision with you! Having open windows and sunlight in a shop will be a true joy! I have a very nice basement shop and feel I control the dust as well as possible with a 3hp DC and room air filtration. Like David, I do get a fine layer of dust on flat surfaces after a while but I tend to keep a meticulously clean shop due to sinus issues. Building a separate shop wasn't an option for me as I do not want to have to deal with going out in the snow to get to it, heating it and then add the hidden cost of paying the property taxes on another building. Even my woodshed is taxed as it is an outbuilding.
    Last edited by john snowdon; 01-31-2017 at 8:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John RStegall View Post
    My "boss" just issued the same edict. Guess there is going to be more than one stand alone shop being built this spring.
    Can't they be mean?!!!

Blog Entries
    I wish there was a way to connect it to the house, but just not any reasonable ways.
    As for taxes, I will have to pay no taxes for 4 years....cause I'm old.
    And I figure it would add about half of what it costs me to the resale value should we find a place in the country to buy.
    I sure wish I'd listened to her when we bought this house nearly 30 years ago. She wanted in the country and my priority was ready to live in with no labor, aside from paint and such.
    An old house in the country, as she wanted, always seem to come with well water and septic problems.

My boss thinks a garage is to park a car in. I don't know where they get that idea.

Larry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cutlip View Post
    My boss thinks a garage is to park a car in. I don't know where they get that idea. Larry
    You have to be careful about that. In 30 years I've never left room for a car in the garage!