Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Little moulder...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Little moulder...

Just bought a moulder, been looking and looking after I had to get rid of a nice P22 with accuset heads.

This is a bit of an upgrade over the 5 head P22 though.

Wadkin GA 6 head with a 7th universal head.

Lots of HP, the badge says 234 amps at 230v.

Have to go pick it up tomorrow, still trying to figure out how to unload it once I get it back to my shop.

Little bit too much for my 6k pound lift, think it weighs about 8 to 9 thousand pounds.

Sorry, can't get pictures to upload at the moment. Have to try later from my computer.

If it's on a skip get it on a rollback. you can drag it off with your lift and push/pull it into position before removing the skip. You could lift one end of the skid and put a pipe under it to help maneuver it. I've jacked one end at a time to remove the skip, cut it out with a chain saw. There are flat spots under the center where you can lift or jack. The 234amp rating is full load on every motor, which is impossible to achieve. My Wadkin K23 was rated at 250amp and is wired to a 200amp breaker. Never had a problem. Good luck moving.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Hilman rollers from your local rental shop and your lift should get you in business if you have to rig it yourself (once you get it on the ground). Whenever we've unloaded heavy loads at the shop we just call our local sunbelt and have them drop a machine capable of the task. We've always been able to rent a large enough lift, long forks, whatever, for 300-500 delivered and picked up. Super cheap in my book.

Nice molder, looks like a lot of work for me.

P.S., if you dont mind, what'd you get a molder like that for at auction? I can only imagine with the rust it had to be a screamer.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 01-29-2017 at 1:25 PM.

It can sit on my trailer for a day or two until I figure out how I want to get it off.

Skates are of no use in my shop as the floor is not the best.

It was taken out of service about 7 months ago and stored in a unheated building.
    It's just a little crusty and I couldn't really find any bed wear.

It set me back 400 bucks.

$400 bucks! lordy may. Well below scrap value for sure. At that price I'd call in the rent ASAP to shuttle it into the shop. I wish we had more time for project machines like that but anything we buy has to hit the floor making money in a few hours. Super score if youve got the time.

I just need to get it on the concrete pad outside my overhead door, it's too long to go in sideways.

It should weigh less that 8,000. I picked up a 5 head GA with a 6,000lb forklift. It was max capacity for the lift.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    It should weigh less that 8,000. I picked up a 5 head GA with a 6,000lb forklift. It was max capacity for the lift.

That's like the only info I can't find. I will run it across the scales tomorrow when it's on the trailer.

Check with a local millwright to get it in. It's not that heavy, but by the time you get done screwing around with renting something heavy enough to move it, or another lift, they might be able to get it slid into place for basically a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Check with a local millwright to get it in. It's not that heavy, but by the time you get done screwing around with renting something heavy enough to move it, or another lift, they might be able to get it slid into place for basically a wash.
    I am usually the person that gets a call when someone needs to move something heavy locally.

You following me around Darcy?

nice find too btw. Worst case you can scrap it and break even

Darcy, you and about 99 guys and 100 cases of beer should get it in the building no problem.

Made it back to my shop. Need to run it over the scales and see what I am dealing with.
    May be closer to 7k pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Made it back to my shop. Need to run it over the scales and see what I am dealing with.
    May be closer to 7k pounds.
    You probably already know the majority of the weight is on the motor side. If you can pick up the motor side to the back rest you may me able to lift it with your lift.

Henry Ford