Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding lighting to a router

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can mount strip LEDs in any shape or amount of LEDs you like.

Excellent idea!!
    I've used LED tape to illuminate under kitchen cabinet uppers. It does work well there. But it is inherently straight. It wouldn't form into a nice circle shape, which is kinda what the shape is under a router body. But you could use short segments to form a rectangularish shape, or maybe a hexagon. That *should* work.

Tapes have minimum cut lengths, so you can't just cut them into arbitrarily short lengths. The one I have at hand has cut markings at roughly six inch intervals. I think the intervals encompass three LEDs, so if you want short segments you should buy high LED-per-foot tape.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-28-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Microfence is selling a couple of router LED ring lights with very nice battery options on their web site.
    BTW Microfence is sponsoring the current FreeStuff Drawing, make sure you enter to win.............

Also very useful on a drillpress. Umbrella lamp is another search term.
    Bill D

Very clever and nice idea. Fortunately my Bosch has a decent LED light already

I've never felt like my routers needed a light, but I will be adopting this idea for use in my Domino joiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Microfence is selling a couple of router LED ring lights with very nice battery options on their web site.
    BTW Microfence is sponsoring the current FreeStuff Drawing, make sure you enter to win.............
    The new light rings are cool. Microfence used to sell small battery powered LED’s. I added two of them to my shop made plunge base several years ago. They work well but their new light ring would be much better.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very good implementation.

I was one of the celtics that believed a such LEDs was simply gimmicky. When I got my Bosch router GOF 1600 (Bosch MRC23EVSK in the US) that includes illumination I discovered I was wrong. I loved that lights both to bring light for my work area as well as a warning it is plugged so now I do not have the risk to try change bits when it is plugged.

Recommended.

The LED light rings look like a great addition! I've been searching for one that looks like it might fit on my Bosch Colt (the older one, without the LEDs) and can't find one. If anyone has rigged up a light for the Colt please let us know!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    The LED light rings look like a great addition! I've been searching for one that looks like it might fit on my Bosch Colt (the older one, without the LEDs) and can't find one. If anyone has rigged up a light for the Colt please let us know!
    Thanks!
    I don't happen to have a Colt available. What diameter would fit?

Here is a page with rings as small as 60 mm OD. https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-halo-rings/ That's about 2 3/8". Would that fit?
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 09-14-2019 at 6:50 PM.

I have ordered two of the 60mm rings for the Makitas I have. They are a perfect size to fit directly under the housing. However, this area has open fins to the motor. I assume that this must be to aid in cooling ... ? I cannot imagine that air goes “in”, as this would fill the motor with dust. Does air (?) goes “out” .. ? What would transpire if the fin area was covered by the light ring? Any other place to fit the ring?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dunno your routers, but some are built to blow air from the motor on to the area where the bit is making dust. If the router is being used handheld in the common position, this means the air is blowing down on to the work area, and blowing dust out of your way when you're trying to watch what you're cutting. (If the router is being used upsidedown in a router table, this means that the router is blowing air and dust up into your face. Not so good...)