Thread: Table Saw Switch Problem

Table Saw Switch Problem

I had to make an alteration to my 240VAC circuit and disconnected it. When I reconnected the circuits, my Delta tablesaw would no longer start. Its a very complicated switch which I know nothing about. I metered all contact points within and they are energized so I can't understand why it won't start the saw. This has happened once before but I don't remember what I did to get it working again.

There's a nylon adjustment screw within that has at least 3 positions. Tried changing the settings, but nada. Does anyone know anything about this kind of switch and why it might have just quit working?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    It is a magnetic switch. If the line power is still presented as before there should be no issue. Was the switch out of the circuit (unplugged) while you were doing your work?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I replaced the switch on my Delta saw many years ago. I mounted a wall box with double pole single throw 30 amp switch. It is still going strong.
    I also changed the motor to run on 240 volts.
    The saw has no issues.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.

I bit my tongue and dismantled teh switch. It is much more than just a switch as it has thermal overload protection that a circuit breaker won't give plus it will prevent saw from unexpectedly starting up after a power failure. I've had that happen. It is also amperage adjustable. This is not a replacement you want to skimp on. OTOH you don't need to shell out the $200 Delta charges for an OEM replacement.

All of the contact points were burned away, so the switch is toast. Was new in 1993. There are many replacement types available, but none as good as the original. I chose a Woodtek 923964 @ $65.00. There are better switches but they all have very small on/off buttons, not good for a table saw where you need a fast emergency shut-off.

Contact sets are often available, do a search for that brand of contactor. If it is chinese don't expect much but worth a try.
    Rollie