Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tv on the out..

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Correct this statement if it's made in error, but when televisions only had tubes there were really only a few manufacturers making all the brands. Is it the same with the current LED, LCD, Plasma, etc. models?
    Quite possible. At one time Sharp & LG made screens for most of the brands. A TV today seems like a PC monitor with a tuner or two and audio circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I played with the sound settings last night. No such luck the soung is just garbage. So i went and did some reading online about the Sonos sound bar. Unlike the Polk option i have to purchase a subwoofer also. I think this makes for a $1300 total. Actually if i wanted i could still add a front and a rear to thats setup for a grand total,of $1800.

The sound on new TV's is awful. I think it's because they go thinner and thinner and have no room for a decent speaker. I went through the same thing last year. I bought a $6-700 (on sale) Harmon Kardon system and a much cheaper one for a spare TV. After a few days I returned the HK and bought a second cheaper one. The HK was nice but I didn't think it was 8X nice for watching TV. For music on the louder side the HK was better, a wash for just background music.

The one I ended up with is the BestBuy house brand. It was on sale from $200 to $100 or so. They were both easy to hookup so it was easy to try both. I liked the cheaper one because it was simple. It had on/off, an extra input and Bluetooth, volume, and up and down on the bass. Simple. He HK had a bunch of different stuff to adjust and obsess over.

I rarely buy "cheaper" anymore, but I'm happy I did for this purchase. For just watching TV and movies it's great. If you plan on filling your house with music, more then just occasionally, then maybe the more expensive versions would be worth it.

Yes, internal sound is generally less than adequate and the increased thinness, despite great leaps in speaker technology, isn't very pleasing, even for just dialog. Fortunately, there are less expensive sound bars with wireless subwoofers available for "the masses" as well as more premium sound setups of various types. I use a $250 sound bar w/wireless sub with the Samsung in our MBR and it's made things much more enjoyable. Not ideal for movie sound tracks, but fine for general viewing. If we want to watch something that benefits from higher quality/capability sound, we go downstairs where the room is setup for that with a larger sound solution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So with the tv purchased and in my living room lets move the conversation to sound.

I am really considering purchasing the Sonos sound bar and subwoofer. $1399

The sound quality is driving me nuts! Rather lack of it i should say. Crazy now the tv is less but you are strong armed into paying for the speekers. Plus they se the tv to view 4K content in the store then you get it home and all you have is 1080p.

I swear the world has gone by the way of the dogs, actually i love dogs way more than people. Maybe the statmment is better said "the world has gone to the dumb humans".

Anyway i digress when i make personal comments.

So Sonos. Im only inclined to use Sonos as that is what i see every new high end house install when building new.

Anyone have Sonos experience?

I ould much prefer a new Aigner fence for my shaper to some silly speakers but im the type i always regret when i buy cheap crap.

Sonos are OK in terms of sound (not high end hi-fi but decent). There are other brands you might want to look at - Paradigm , B & W, Klipsch to name a few. As usual, your budget and ears are going to be the real factor. Sound bars are not as effective as a "real" surround system IME, but are much easier to set up. To get significant Bass out of your soundtracks, you will need a subwoofer

I certainly wouldn't spend the money but I have watched movies many times on the Sonos system. A friend has one, it sure sounds good, but I don't personally think it's worth it. He is not your average working stiff so the price was no matter. I thought the Sonos system was more praised for its flexibility, compatibility, expandable to other speakers and rooms (wirelessly), as well as ease of setup. That being said, the friend has a few thousand in his Sonos system, wasn't happy with it for music and bought a high end system for that. Still uses it for TV but not music. Don't get me wrong it sounds great, but I'm not sure if I drove an hour down the road and listened to a brand X system I could notice that much of a difference. Side by side in a store I'm sure there is a big difference.

Next time I'm over I may start complaining about the Tv sound so he upgrades, then I will end up with it.......sure would be nice for free!

I'm not real picky about sound,last Batman movie I saw in a movie house was so over powering with "sound effect" noise
    I could not enjoy it. I think that is part of the reason attendance is down.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    The sound on new TV's is awful. I think it's because they go thinner and thinner and have no room for a decent speaker. I went through the same thing last year. I bought a $6-700 (on sale) Harmon Kardon system and a much cheaper one for a spare TV. After a few days I returned the HK and bought a second cheaper one. The HK was nice but I didn't think it was 8X nice for watching TV. For music on the louder side the HK was better, a wash for just background music.

The one I ended up with is the BestBuy house brand. It was on sale from $200 to $100 or so. They were both easy to hookup so it was easy to try both. I liked the cheaper one because it was simple. It had on/off, an extra input and Bluetooth, volume, and up and down on the bass. Simple. He HK had a bunch of different stuff to adjust and obsess over.

I rarely buy "cheaper" anymore, but I'm happy I did for this purchase. For just watching TV and movies it's great. If you plan on filling your house with music, more then just occasionally, then maybe the more expensive versions would be worth it.
    The sound on TV's have always been awful. They are probably better today than they used to be. I have a very good sound system, so we typically buy monitors rather than TV's. All sound goes through the stereo / 7 channel sound system.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    So with the tv purchased and in my living room lets move the conversation to sound.

I am really considering purchasing the Sonos sound bar and subwoofer. $1399

The sound quality is driving me nuts! Rather lack of it i should say. Crazy now the tv is less but you are strong armed into paying for the speekers. Plus they se the tv to view 4K content in the store then you get it home and all you have is 1080p.

I swear the world has gone by the way of the dogs, actually i love dogs way more than people. Maybe the statmment is better said "the world has gone to the dumb humans".

Anyway i digress when i make personal comments.

So Sonos. Im only inclined to use Sonos as that is what i see every new high end house install when building new.

Anyone have Sonos experience?

I ould much prefer a new Aigner fence for my shaper to some silly speakers but im the type i always regret when i buy cheap crap.
    Personally, I don't care for the Sonos, but I am a bit of an audiofile. That said, the only person you need to make happy is yourself. If you are satisfied with the sound, get it.

My suspician is that if your sound needs are centered around TV (cable, internet, or satellite) this might be a good solution. If, on the other hand, you run audio (CD's, LP's, etc...), then you may not be satisfied with the reproduction through the speakers. I find a lot of coloration in these types of sound reinforcement.

I test the sound by bringing audio where I know how it should sound and test in the place's loud room. Test loud and quiet and look for clarity in multi-channel sources. I reference this against my studio monitors (both near field and room types) which have a very flat & non-colored response.

Broadcast sound often comes as a variety of source types. For instance, sports broadcasting in HD is often 5:1. However the comercials are often not HD and only stereo. With the proper source controls, you can listen to the sports audio, but when the commercials come on, they are muted. A "late night" feature can be helpful. It compresses the sound to keep from blasting a very loud source when trying to be quiet as others may be sleeping.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Once upon a time i was also a borderline audiofile. I love music and had many a serious stereo systems in my youth.

My house is very small and i no longer have a sterio. I would like one butt is low on my priority list. It would be nice if the tv sound solution killed two birds with one stone. I am not however interested in going all nuts with speakers and and sterio equiptment everywhere. Im just dont like stuff that much anymore. Or maybe i do and i jsut choose to pool my resources into tools, lumber and trees for my garden.

Point is i wonder ifnim gonna drop $13-1700 on Sonos should i be looking at other options. My thought is i could easily spend $1700 on a high quality reciever or amp for a real system.

Patrick, there are some nice sound bar solutions with separate subs that provide reasonable sound quality and have the ability to reproduce sound from sources other than the TV, both "wired" and via Bluetooth...especially in the budget figure you're talking about. They are not going to be anything like "high end" audiofile stuff, but they can sound pretty good when matched to the room.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...