Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tv on the out..

If I got a smart TV I'd never connect it to the internet. Never know what goes on behind the scenes. Especially TVs with microphones and cameras.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

Blog Entries
    Anybody ever seen a TV with a camera and microphone?
    NOW you tell me...

LOL, early days yet, Leo - sooner or later almost every electronic device is going to connect by default - Internet of Things

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I played with the sound settings last night. No such luck the soung is just garbage. So i went and did some reading online about the Sonos sound bar. Unlike the Polk option i have to purchase a subwoofer also. I think this makes for a $1300 total. Actually if i wanted i could still add a front and a rear to thats setup for a grand total,of $1800.

In the short long term i will need to do something about the sound its terrible.

I connected my Tav to my wifi signal. Dont ask me why, it was a option during setup and it felt like now or never as ill never dig through them menues to figure it out again.

With that said i should mess with the picture settings also as if i let enough time go by ill just never do it. I really dont have the time patients or interest for such a tv centric task but i should take the time and do it. But even a low listening levels there is no comparison. What is the point of a HiDef picture with transistor radio sound.

Crazy tv went through a software update when i turned it in this morning. I think in another ten years my tv might feed me, make my coffee or walk my dog..
    I haven't listened to TV sound (other than in my old basement 27" Mitsubishi) since I ponied up for surround sound 15 years ago. Every once in a while I listen to just the TV sound for like 30 seconds to remind me why I ditched it. My sub will shake the couch with the right content cranked a bit. Love it cranked, the wife, not so much. Even at low listening levels, no comparison.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 02-01-2017 at 8:59 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

I currently have a 40" Sony Bravia (second generation after the first one gave up after 3 yrs). Sam's replaced it with a higher quality one. I have had it approx. 6 years. Have been looking at the Samsungs here lately at Sam's. However, in light of all the problems with the Samsung phones, I hope it does not carry over. I doubt you could go wrong with either a Sony or Samsung.

Leo,

I'm pretty much with you. Thats why i cant beleieve i connected it to my wifi.

I have nothing to hide, nor am i about to start hoarding guns or anything but still i trust not a sole. Especially with our new leader.

QUOTE=Leo Graywacz;2654031]If I got a smart TV I'd never connect it to the internet. Never know what goes on behind the scenes. Especially TVs with microphones and cameras.

Yes, I'm paranoid.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    "Everybody" has piles of televisions available this particular week of the year...
    Good time of the year to buy a TV (2 weeks leading up to the Super Bowl).

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Anybody ever seen a TV with a camera and microphone?
    Look at the Samsung TVs and read about them. The microphone on them listens and sends information to a 3rd party. Some TVs have cameras to see how many people are in the room and how the room lighting is so it can adjust.

The smart TVs are going to get all up in your business soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Leo,

I'm pretty much with you. Thats why i cant beleieve i connected it to my wifi.

I have nothing to hide, nor am i about to start hoarding guns or anything but still i trust not a sole. Especially with our new leader.

QUOTE=Leo Graywacz;2654031]If I got a smart TV I'd never connect it to the internet. Never know what goes on behind the scenes. Especially TVs with microphones and cameras.

Yes, I'm paranoid.
    [/QUOTE]

If you are into interconnecting devices and netflix and all that modern stuff then it might be for you. But for me, it's a watching device. Not a device that knows more than me and can report back to the mothership. Just the fact that it did an upgrade on you without your consent is bad enough.

TV cameras are small enough now to hide in almost any device.

Im not into devices period.

Nor am i into NetFlix or whatever else these crazy kids are doing these days.

Just to be clear the tv asked me if i would allow it to update. I said yes thinking it might help the picture and sound, no such luck

I trust myself and only myself. Well my mother but thats it. I still dont think my tv has ancamera in it. If it does so be it. I really hope who ever is watching is getting a good kick.

If you are into interconnecting devices and netflix and all that modern stuff then it might be for you. But for me, it's a watching device. Not a device that knows more than me and can report back to the mothership. Just the fact that it did an upgrade on you without your consent is bad enough.

TV cameras are small enough now to hide in almost any device.[/QUOTE]

The default picture settings are very often not optimal for the home viewing environment...take a few minutes and get to know them. I'm betting you'll be able to get a much better picture for "your environment" if you do. After I got the Samsung for our MBR and tweaked it, I immediately went back downstairs and re-adjusted the Sharp in the media room when I realized it just wasn't setup correctly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Good time of the year to buy a TV (2 weeks leading up to the Super Bowl).
    It's supposed to be the best time of the year to purchase one. That said, I found one on sale in December for less than the price this week.

What i notice most is the background seems fake/still or like a green screen. The figures or people just seem plsced atop a picture as apposed to a actual set.

Maybe this is just how tv is now. I think im getting old...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The default picture settings are very often not optimal for the home viewing environment...take a few minutes and get to know them. I'm betting you'll be able to get a much better picture for "your environment" if you do. After I got the Samsung for our MBR and tweaked it, I immediately went back downstairs and re-adjusted the Sharp in the media room when I realized it just wasn't setup correctly.

Time for an "old fangled" plasma.

Correct this statement if it's made in error, but when televisions only had tubes there were really only a few manufacturers making all the brands. Is it the same with the current LED, LCD, Plasma, etc. models?