Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought you might like to see this example of "Sharp Enough"

Thought you might like to see this example of "Sharp Enough"

I been hanging out with the bad boys over in some knife forum.
    Remember I always blabbed on and on about when it's sharp it will take curls off an individual hair while the hair is still in your arm ?

First off this isn't my work or my photo; it is from a guy over there that goes by Jason B.
    He sharpens stuff. (I'd post a link but then that would set off alarms and stuff and the police would be called and . . . )

I was never able to even come close to photographing it but I came across this photo last night that Jason took and figured I'd bring it over here.

Pretty good huh ?

Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Incredible!

Welclme back Winton!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wild! Good to hear from you Winton.

Best,
    C

I think that I can see a little tearout there, Winton

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I think that I can see a little tearout there, Winton
    Wouldn't that be called "hair-out" in his instance?

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice sharpening, and nice picture.

Hi Guys,

LOL

I have gone down some perverted and twisted path . . . doing things with woodworking tools that no sane person should have to witness.

I’ll let the photos tell the ugly twisted tail. Basically I removed the molded on handle material from this knife (second from left; the boning knife). . .

I marked out with a white pencil . . .

A titanium framed knife; sure is skinny with no handle scales.

There isn’t that better ?

It used to look like this
    First knife in foreground

And put the handle material on and sanded ‘er flush. A FrankenKnife but I love her . . . there . . . I said it.

Yes it folds
    But
    Better is Better.

Blog Entries
    Welcome back! I'm sorry to inform you that we have already split many hairs on this forum over sharpening things. That's a pretty neat trick there. I must try it.

Nice knife work there. I agree- titanium knives are always a bit thin. I prefer a much larger knife...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W09ghiWskUk

I prefer a much larger knife...
    Was that Derek ?!
    That was Derek wasn't it.

He's such a bad ace.
    But
    Better is Better.

Winton,

Good to see a post, this shebang has been in need of some color with the likes of you, Harold, and David not posting.

ken

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Was that Derek ?!
    That was Derek wasn't it.

He's such a bad ace.
    No, Derek's encounter would have gone more like this:
    "That's not a knoife, this is a knoife- the blade is A1 tool steel sharpened on Japanese waterstones to 10,000 grit with a bevel angle of 22.5 degrees. I created this honing jig to facilitate sharpening at exacting angles. The scales were hand carved from jacaranda and inlaid with Ebony. I made this nice wood scabbard for it using red gum. All the joints are hand dovetailed and.... Hey, wait- why are you running away? I was just about to explain the tape trick..."

All respect to Derek, who I am sure is reading in good humor.

Blog Entries
    Good to see you back.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    "That's not a knoife, this is a knoife- the blade is A1 tool steel sharpened on Japanese waterstones to 10,000 grit with a bevel angle of 22.5 degrees. I created this honing jig to facilitate sharpening at exacting angles. The scales were hand carved from jacaranda and inlaid with Ebony. I made this nice wood scabbard for it using red gum. All the joints are hand dovetailed and.... Hey, wait- why are you running away? I was just about to explain the tape trick..."

Hey, wait ... there's more .................................................. ................................................

Derek

Pretty darn sharp. But more importantly, WELCOME BACK WINTON!!! We've missed ya dude!

I see you're still using that Purpleheart workbench! (I finally bought some Purpleheart and I really like the way it looks with a blonde shellac finish.)

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-26-2017 at 6:41 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Dang Malcolm. You made me spit coffee all over the monitor again! (Sorry Derek. Just teasing.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I will forevermore read all of Derek's posts in my head in the voice of Crocodile Dundee thanks to this post.

Bob