Thread: Foredom flex shaft

Foredom flex shaft

So I got an opportunity to clean out an old factory that made windows, and doors. It was mostly gone through for big items, but there was tonnage of smalls and hand tools. I got some pretty cool stuff, but for turning, I found this motor w variable speed, and a 4 foot flexible shaft off it with a Jacobs chuck on the end. (w key). Actually there were like 25 of them. I took 3 only. They all worked.
    BUT .... Does anyone have any experience using these. I watched a video where people were sanding and carving with these. Any thoughts. Sam

Is this a Foredom handle that has the drill chuck, or just a chuck on the end of the flex shaft? I don't use my Foredom for sanding on the lathe. The exception is sanding inside of vases, hollow forms type stuff. I made sanding mops that are attached to 1/4" shafts to reach inside of them. I also use it for adding stippling texture, and I have a reciprocating carving handle that I use for carving. Along with the using the handle that holds 1/8, through 1/4" shanked burrs. If you can find the model number, you can order new shafts and outer sheaths that will let you switch out the handles. I prefer using the collet handle model 44.

If it's Foredom brand it's a good one. They make several different models depending on hp and whether they have forward and reverse. They are a great tool for a lot of things. I have worn out a couple over the last 30yrs but not on lathe related work. There are lots of different bits available for texturing, grinding sanding etc. The shaft is easily replaceable as are the contacts. If you don't like the foot control for the speed they make a table top variable speed control which is what I prefer.

I use a similar system to sand my bowls and such on the lathe. My motor is actually a sump pump motor that I have hung from the rafters. It is 1750 rpm so I have slowed my lathe down to 25 rpm and then sand with the spindle going forward and reverse. I have been using the flex shafts from Garrett Wade that are about $30. They have a 1/4" chuck and work fine with the 2" sanding disks. The larger 3.5" disks appear to put too much tension on the flex shaft and contribute to it breaking and they don't last as long as I think they should.

I wouldn't sand with them at 15,000 rpm but they would sure carve up a storm.

Any suggestions on just the flex shafts will be appreciated.

Cheers,
    David G.

Yes it's a foredom. It has variable speed right on the motor. No foot control.

Sounds like a great find. I use the Foredoms for carving - having more than one is more efficient since you don't have to stop and change bits. I've never seen one with the speed control on the motor . Mine have just a on-off/reversing switch.

Depending on the motor, you might be able to plug these in to a Foredom foot control. The motors on those sold today to carvers are low current/small HP. However when I carve for extended periods I don't use the foot control.

A Jacobs chuck sounds useful for some things like drill bits and maybe the sanding pads but I can't imagine doing a lot of carving with it. The handpieces used by carvers are small and let you hold very close to the bit for fine control, almost like using a pencil. These handpieces use tiny collets to hold the bits which all have standard size shafts.

The handpieces snap into the end of the flexible shaft. If yours are very old or a specialized industrial model you might have to contact Foredom to see if the current flexible shafts will work. (If you want to use them for carving)

Hurry, run back and get the rest of them! I'll take three, as-is.

JKJ

I'm with John too bad you didn't take them all. As far as having more than one. It would be great to have one hanging at my lathe and not have to move one back and forth. I pulg min into a speed control and then use the foot pedal as a switch. I think the foot pedal is supposed to be variable speed but I can't hold my foot at part way. I have 5 heads for mine including one with a semi covered jacobs chuck.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Awesome find! Great tool. Check the website. They have videos. And more stuff to buy....... Don't be too aggressive, the shaft can break when driven too hard. The shaft also needs periodic lubrication. Again, check the site.

I wish I had one of those Foredoms.

I have had one of those Foredom tools for several years now. My opinion is, it is a good quality tool and has good endurance. I have done a lot of wood carving using mostly basswood and this tool is a necessity if you plan to do any wood carving.

Does anyone have any experience with this flexible shaft tool?

More hosepower, more rpms. How does it compare to the Foredom?

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/Fle...s/products/18/

Quote Originally Posted by richard shelby View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this flexible shaft tool?
    I haven't tried one. From that web site I didn't immediately notice a variety of handpieces. The one in most of the photos looks larger and harder to hold than my favorite Foredom handpiece. Maybe they have more or maybe ask if the Foredom handpieces will fit.

So far I haven't found the need for more power than the Foredom.

JKJ

From the website:

"Both Foredom® and MASTERCARVER® handpieces connect to each other's flex shafts."

I have 3 different brands. One is a Foredom. Unfortunately each has it's own flex shaft and hand piece and they aren't interchangeable. Have not seen or tried the Woodcarvers supply unit. My foredom is so much better than the other 2 off brands. It's smoother quieter and more powerful. Mine is an older Foredom. The newer models are more powerful.

15. Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    I use a similar system to sand my bowls and such on the lathe. My motor is actually a sump pump motor that I have hung from the rafters. It is 1750 rpm so I have slowed my lathe down to 25 rpm and then sand with the spindle going forward and reverse. I have been using the flex shafts from Garrett Wade that are about $30. They have a 1/4" chuck and work fine with the 2" sanding disks. The larger 3.5" disks appear to put too much tension on the flex shaft and contribute to it breaking and they don't last as long as I think they should.
    I have often thought that something like that might make sense. Relatively low speed and at least 1/4" chuck with a bit more power than some of the flex shaft tools would seem to make sense for sanding on the lathe.

I have a cheap Foredom clone, but it is high speed low torque, small chuck, and not really suitable for sanding tasks on the lathe.

It looks like the Garret Wade Flex Shaft is now closer to $50 than $30 and not available until until next month, but I am thinking of ordering one and cobbling it to a 1725 rpm motor that I have sitting around collecting dust. The flex shaft looks like it was designed to be attached via a chuck to a hand drill but I figure I can fashion a coupling with the appropriate diameters and set screws.
    Last edited by Pete Staehling; 09-13-2018 at 8:02 AM.