Thread: Long Shop Layout Advice

Long Shop Layout Advice

We are preparing to move our workshop to a new location after the first of April. The new space is about 90 feet long and 40 feet wide with 16 foot ceilings.
    I am looking for some general advice about layout.

The present thinking is to have all the woodworking equipment such as planer, band saw, shaper, etc. in a single row along one wall and work benches (with access to hand tools, clamps etc.) along the opposite wall.

There are two reasons behind this line of thought: First the very high ceilings would be a challenge for running duct-work and secondly, there is no way to get power to the center of the space short of dropping power cords from the ceiling.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

My shop is 40'x 150' with a row of posts down the middle. Buss duct is your friend. Do not line stuff up in a row down the wall, stuff gets way too spread out for running material of any length.

Build a scale model.

Think work cells, any key equipment that is shared between those should be close to one another. Also flow, material in, product out. Things should be making circles as little as possible, ideally not at all. Also think about access for getting material in and product out. My new building everything comes in on one end, and goes out the other.

I wouldn't sweat drops for power, or dust collection hanging from the ceiling. The small cost of a drop isn't worth the long term cost of dealing with a less than optimal placement of equipment.

One...err...two words: WORK FLOW

That's the most important thing when you are setting up your tool arrangement. It's also conducive to a better dust collection efficiency layout.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can also stagger machines and run some down the middle in clusters and take advantage of the 40' width and run 16' stock in that direction as well.

I suspect the guys crammed into 16x20 shops are choking on their drool.

JKJ

I am building out a 40X64X16. Very curious to this thread.

I am planning to use the south side 64' for wood working
    I will be using a line down the wall for main trunk. Vertical branch out and down to a cluster of the planer and jointer and a few feet away also a drum sander.

Table saw is another 16'-20' down the south wall and will get collection from a drop off the main line as well that is at the end of the side table.
    The table saw and jointer/planer face each other to use that same out feed space. Planer and jointer and DS parallel each other and share the same in-feed area.
    I have 30amp circuits in the ceiling to drop power down for everything too.
    My goal is the ability of 16' in and out of all those tools.

SCMS station will be on the wall in the area of the jointer planer.
    The glue up JLT Panel rack is west of the tablesaw.

North east is metal working (lathes and mills). North central is bandsaws other sanders and another 5hp single stage DC. There is a mezzanine planned north west 12X24 with CNC routers under it and a paint booth finishing area. South east gets a shaper.

Goal is to keep between garage doors open to drive through bringing materials and plywood in and take out projects. Doors are 14X14. Under West door is movie projector so drive through becomes seating area too. I have mobile recliners to roll into that area (medical recliners).

Its all just current ideas, open to new ideas, but something like this:

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.