Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Marking Gauge - clone of Tite-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Well I'm only here because I was kindly asked to leave the power tool forum for suggesting that Festool buy Sawstop with the money they can raise by selling the Domino patents to Bosch.
    clap. clap. clap. Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Well I'm only here because I was kindly asked to leave the power tool forum for suggesting that Festool buy Sawstop with the money they can raise by selling the Domino patents to Bosch.
    Edwin; you shouldn't cause any strife mentioning power tools within the hands tools forum. Very few of us restrict ourselves to hand tools only. A Bench Grinder is a power tool. A Cordless Drill is a power tool, and so on.

Neanderthal is by name only.

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have an Odd jobs, but never use it. Oh well.
    You're missing out, I love mine. Use it for setting up the height of my table saw blade as well as a general depth gauge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike v flaim View Post
    You're missing out, I love mine. Use it for setting up the height of my table saw blade as well as a general depth gauge.
    My Odd Jobs gets used sometimes as a depth gauge.

Mostly it is used like a marking gauge with a pencil. It is also great for finding centers on a piece like any other gauge.

Another thought, sometimes it is used for setting my bandsaw fence.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Having read the posts I did not see anyone say whether the Taytools beam on the gauge is stainless steel. Are the beam and two steel knobs stainless like they are on the Tite- Mark?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I teach hand cut dovetails and provide tools for the students to use. One tool is the marking gauge and the one that most people like is the Tite-Mark by Kevin Drake. But at $90 each - and I recommend that they have two for dovetails - it's an expensive tool to bite off on.

Mike
    Another option, and perhaps a better approach if your classes are filled with beginners, is to use a combination square to mark out for dovetails. Beginners likely won't have the necessary tools or ability to ensure a perfectly square edge to be marked by the wheel gauge. With a combo square, you'd be able to teach the importance of a reference edge. Plus everyone needs one (just one) good combo square.

I own 2 Tite-Mark marking gauges and can remember a time when they weren't yet on the market. Glen did us all a favor by bringing these to market and AFAIK there's still no equal available. I hope he's able to keep producing them for a long time.
    Mark Maleski

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Maleski View Post
    .....I own 2 Tite-Mark marking gauges and can remember a time when they weren't yet on the market. Glen did us all a favor by bringing these to market and AFAIK there's still no equal available. I hope he's able to keep producing them for a long time.
    Not sure how these are so different than the Veritas. Can you explain? Thanks.

Not questioning, just asking the question.............
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I only have the standard Veritas marking gauge (without a micro adjust), so can't say authoritatively of how the Veritas micro-adjust differs from the Tite-Mark. I'm going on reviews of the Veritas micro-adjusting gauge that suggest that setting it is a 2-hand operation. The convenience of the Tite-Mark is that I can hold my work in the left hand, and set the micro-adjust precisely with my right hand.

Perhaps someone with the Veritas Micro-Adjust gauge can confirm?
    Mark Maleski

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post

Here is a comparison of the two:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133966

The Tite-Mark is easier to set. It is also less likely to roll off of a bench due to the set screws size.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jones View Post

I had a Veritas gauge originally, bought a Titemark, used both for a while and sold the Veritas. Why? Tactile feel of the Titemark was better, with the micro adjust, easier to set-up, didn't roll off the bench and was just easier to use!

Since that time, I believe Lee Valley made significant changes to their gauge, and though I have not used one, those that have use it and the Titemark, say the advantages of one over the other have disappeared. I can't recall if it was this forum or another, but I posted my current most favored gauge is the Lee Valley stainless dual stem marking gauge. It works!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.