Thread: Powermatic Accu-Fence Guide Tube Loose

Powermatic Accu-Fence Guide Tube Loose

Hey all. I just replaced my 9" Rockwell with a powermatic 64A table saw and I am in the process of setting it up. When I got it there were only two bolts attaching the tube guide to the front rail. I opened the manual and went to the depot. Alas all they had were 3/4" 1/4-20 bolts. When I tried to install them I found that they were all loose and would not tighten. The only thing I can think to do is drill out the holes on the tube and re-tap. Have any of you had this issue? How did you fix it? Thanks.

editted to correct Saw model: not 94A
    Last edited by Nick Sandberg; 01-23-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Other option--Move tube over a bit, clamped to the angle, center punch through holes in the angle and drill/tap for 1/4-20. Tape will not be correct if you use it. New "Kmelon" (sp?) tape from Ace Hdw. for 6-7 bucks. Gives you a chance to increase your width of cut.
    Dick

Blog Entries
    I believe most newer Powermatic saws use metric bolts. The manual for the M64B calls out Hex cap screws M8x25 – SHP-1. U.S. standard bolts do not work in metric tapped holes.

M64B manual
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-23-2017 at 8:46 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Not sure what the original fastener is head-wise. If it is just a hex head bolt and the holes are indeed stripped, I would tap to 5/16" and move along. If the thread is just odd, I would look into finding the proper fastener. Lots of online info about the saw and parts location.

I couldn't fin d PM 94A. Is it maybe a 64A? if so, as Dick points out, you can shift the tube over if you would like to gain some rip width. If I was going to drill and tap anyway I would do that. If I was just going to enlarge the existing holes, maybe not. Your needs will dictate that.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hey Gents it is indeed a 64a. Thank you all for the great ideas. The manual does call for 1/4-20 bolts. I was recommended a solution from a gentleman at my office that worked for me. A product called Helicoil here is the amazon link https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5521.../dp/B0002SRE8Q I also added the lock washers and everything tightened up perfectly. Thanks all for taking the time to help out. Btw the only things the kit did not come with were a handle for the tap (I used a brace) and the 17/64" drill bit needed to drill out the wholes. So, if you don't have one you should order that as well. Take care.