Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New G0766 issues

1. Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    OK so I owe an apology to you all and especially Grizzly. I feel like a complete moron! The lathe wouldn't start or run because I didn't supply the proper power. In my haste to run an outlet for the lathe I failed to connect both poles. Along with wiring an outlet for the lathe I also put in new LED's for the shop and other outlets for hand tools and when I was at the box I wired the lathe like the other circuits and connected one pole and the the other wires to the neutral and ground bus. I figured it out last night and couldn't believe it! I connected the other pole and its running perfectly. Wow this thing is amazing! I have only turned on my midi lathe with a 10" swing and no variable speed so this lathe feels like I went from a Kia to a Ferrari! I turned some new handles for the banjo and the tailstock out of curly maple so I could acclimate to the variable speed and get comfortable with the controls. I filed down the spindle shoulder so my chuck would go on as well.
    Glad you got it up and running! I had a feeling it was something other than the lathe. We hope you enjoy yours as much as we have enjoyed ours! I particularly like your Farrari analogy....I don't now if I would go quite that far, but the 0766 is a pretty sweet ride for sure!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-25-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Glad you finally got I figured out and your up and running.
    I couldn't help but notice from the pic of your lathe that the motor is almost up against the wall, probably not a big deal but you really need to give it some "breathing" room.
    Enjoy your new lathe!!

Way In order that you feel like less of a moron I'll tell you my table saw story. I spent a day unable to turn on my new table saw because its stop button (on the mag switch) didn't have arrows telling you to rotate-to-release, and it shipped with the button pushed in.

We've all had brain outgassing at some point or another. Seems like the older I get, the more my brain likes to pass gas a little more often.

Quote Originally Posted by James Williams 007 View Post
    OK so I owe an apology to you all and especially Grizzly. I feel like a complete moron! The lathe wouldn't start or run because I didn't supply the proper power. In my haste to run an outlet for the lathe I failed to connect both poles. Along with wiring an outlet for the lathe I also put in new LED's for the shop and other outlets for hand tools and when I was at the box I wired the lathe like the other circuits and connected one pole and the the other wires to the neutral and ground bus. I figured it out last night and couldn't believe it! I connected the other pole and its running perfectly. Wow this thing is amazing! I have only turned on my midi lathe with a 10" swing and no variable speed so this lathe feels like I went from a Kia to a Ferrari! I turned some new handles for the banjo and the tailstock out of curly maple so I could acclimate to the variable speed and get comfortable with the controls. I filed down the spindle shoulder so my chuck would go on as well.
    Cheap lesson.

Much better to have wired the 220 outlet 110, than the 110 outlets and lights 220. Of course you would have found the problem sooner the other way, but not at such a low cost.

Now that you have it up and running, ENJOY!! I have been so lucky and have enjoyed mine immensely. But remember - keep the break turned off or unplug from the outlet when not in use. A spike from a lightning storm or power supplier could wreak havoc on the VFD, and it's not cheap to replace. Have fun, and good luck.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Dave where in Okla are you? I am in Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Baxter View Post
    Dave where in Okla are you? I am in Tulsa
    Heyas Ted, I'm in Davis.
    If it's broke, fix it. If it's not, fix it anyway.

If I remember correctly it should be hooked up to a 15 amp 220 breaker not 20 amp 220.

the gauge of the wire you ran dictates the plug to use if you ran 12 use the 20 amp if you ran 14 use the 15 amp. Most 20 amp receptacles takes 15 and 20 amp plugs. if by chance you ran 10 ga. wire go with the 20 amp breaker and plug. Of course the breakers should match wire size for your amp draw.

I did 10 gauge wire and went with 20 amp breaker.
    Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night
    -Poe