Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP! 8" Jointer Advice, Pick Your Favorite

Since you have had so many votes for option #1, I will play devil's advocate and lean towards the bandsaw. But it really hinges on just how limited you feel by 1. your current 6" jointer, 2. the lack of a bandsaw, and 3. your budget (i.e. if you go option #1 would you still spring for a bandsaw later, but maybe not a $1,000 one?). Or do you think you'll want to do some serious resawing at some point in which case you might want a larger bandsaw? BUT, if you are leaning towards increasing jointer capacity over bandsaw use, option #1 does really sound like a great deal.

option 1!

Make sure Delta is okay with that paperwork transfer. That could potentially save you some real $$ later!!!
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Get the DJ20. No question about it. $2000 worth of machine for 1/2 the money. Do check the motor mount. I have seen three of them installed backwards. They are almost but not quite symmetrical.

BTW. I bought a used DJ20 two years ago and love that looonnngggg table.

CPeter

I vote option 3 or 4. I have a 1018 and am happy with it. Given your choices, I would choose based on space considerations. Get the long table version if you have plenty of space, otherwise the short. The DJ20 is a nice machine and I've used one at a shop I used to rent time at. While the longer tables were nice, I don't have any problems with my current jointer vs. the DJ20. I would rather have a wider cutterhead jointer than longer tables.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Option #1 -- Before I do
    Only the Blue Roads

Option 1
    That is a terrific price for what you are getting, and having upgraded to the DJ20 myself a couple of years ago, you will be very pleased. I've gone the "this should do me for now" route on tools in the past, oly to come to regret it later... now I would rather wait and try to make each tool purchase the one that will last me for many, many years...and when I good deal comes along, like you seem to have found... jump on it! Like Dev said...sooner the better.... those DJ20's really hold resale value and that is a steal....
    Roger

Option #5

You could always drive out to Indiana and pick up one of these unknown gems for $299.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?dpt=&cat=&sku=03166

Should be quite interesting. Is this a lower level H.F. item or are my old eyes seeing something else?

8. Catalog error on G0500

Hi Eric,
    It appears we have a mistake in our Christmas catalog. The G0500 does not have bed extensions, but are one piece casting. When we first introduced that model it did have extensions but we immediately made new dies for the tables and since then they have been one piece.
    Bill

Bill Crofutt
    Quality Control Manager
    Grizzly Industrial Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Deschler
    You could always drive out to Indiana and pick up one of these unknown gems for $299.
    Key words being "drive out to Indiana":
    $299 for the jointer, $457 shipping to California...such a deal!

Eric,

If it were me I would choose "Option 1". I haven't purchased any used equipment yet but based on what you describe this seems like a terrific value for a proven machine.

I like green products, but it would be hard to pass up a DJ20 for $1000. But if you are considering green, think this way, you could have both possibly. The G0586 is on sale price right now. You could sell your 6", then add that money with what you have now to spend and get the G0513. That would be a 8" jointer and a 17" bandsaw.

Green also has a new 8" with spiral head I think G0583 coming out and is under $1000.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Not to hijack this thread BUT...
    Does anyone have a good grasp of the differences between the Griz G0586 and G0500? The G0500 is usually about $200 more than the G0586 but is now on 'Holiday Special' for only 'a few dollars more' .

Quote Originally Posted by John Hemenway
    Not to hijack this thread BUT...
    Does anyone have a good grasp of the differences between the Griz G0586 and G0500? The G0500 is usually about $200 more than the G0586 but is now on 'Holiday Special' for only 'a few dollars more' .
    The G0500 is made in Taiwan. It is based on the G1018, but with some additions (bigger motor, extra knife, bed extensions). The G0586 is made in China. According to the president of Grizzly the main part of the jointer is the same and made by a Chineese factory of the same company (?Geetech I assume?). It has a different fence design and high mounted switch compared to the G0500. I think they are moving some of their planer mfring from Taiwan to China also.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I agree!

Option 1 sounds like a no-brainer to me. I certainly have no complaints about my 8 year old DJ 20 other than I wish it was 20" wide.

Greg

15. I agree with Scott. Unless your a professional, Get the G0586 and sell your 6" jointer. Use that plus remaining $$ to get a decent bandsaw!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0586

I eyeballed the G0586 at the vegas show and was definitely impressed with the fit and finish. Chinese factories aint what they used to be. For $625 you can't go wrong!

Chuck