Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to sawmill, lathe question

Dean, I have the Oneway 2436 and I have not regretted getting it one bit. I have cored on it some and it worked well. As has been stated, sharp tools make the difference. Plus a lot of practice.
    Joe

I learned to core with the Macnaughton on the 1-1/2 hp Jet I started out on. Quickly discovered the joys of taking however long the lathe needed to get the job done. Keep your tools sharp and offer them to the wood the way they were designed to cut and the hp won't keep you from getting the job done.
    I've got a 3hp AB now and I still take my time when coring. Unless you're a production turner, what's the hurry...

Good point Jeff, No hurry I just do not want to overwork a machine. It is far better to have it and not need it that it is to need it and not have it.

Like I said in the first post -- you can core with a 2hp motor. You'll just constantly be holding back on the knives so as not to stall the motor. Slow cutting will dull the cutter faster, will require more frequent sharpenings, and will lead to more heat and more chances to deform your coring tools. But it can be done. The horsepower won't stop you from doing anything you want to. It will just be slower and less pleasant.

A 16" swing will be very limiting, though. You might think you'd be happy only being able to turn 16" bowls -- and you probably would. But realistically the capacity is a lot lower unless you're finish turning green wood you very carefully cut out into a perfect circle on the bandsaw (and this is harder than it sounds). You might be able to finish a 14" bowl with it. It's also very limiting for irregularly shaped pieces (like natural edge) which can be a lot of fun to turn but are very hard to perfectly center so as to run them near the swing capacity of the lathe.

I would not recommend a 16" lathe to anyone who wants to turn bowls.

Larger vs Smaller

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I would not recommend a 16" lathe to anyone who wants to turn bowls.
    I would modify that to say "to anyone who wants to turn large bowls." I have a larger lathe now but I have turned many, many bowls the 16" lathe and a few were about 15" after re-turning.

I just don't enjoy turning large bowls that much. I give my bowls away and given a choice, people usually choose a smaller bowl claiming a lake of space in the house. I also prefer to turn dry wood which goes well with smaller bowls (plates, platters, etc) - start to finish the same day. I can turn and finish several smaller bowls in the same time as one larger and make more people happy.

For those who like large bowls, yes get a large lathe. David Ellsworth may still have his for sale - you can walk in this one which might make big hollow form turners happy too:
    ellsworth_lathe.JPG

And you can always core with a chainsaw the way Lisi Oland does:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PMEJ7rirso
    I have a set of her tools new in a box if any big bowl turners want to up their game.

JKJ

14" is a pretty big bowl if it's perfectly round and twice-turned conventional bowl. If you're doing a natural edge or a shallower bowl it's more limiting.

Plus he said he hates to waste wood. How's he going to feel cutting those 18" logs into 14" blanks if he could core 14"ers out of the 18" bowls?

All great points Bob, I'm just getting a little impatient and the 1640 was a mere temptation. I am going to just wait and buy the 2436 then I will not be disappointed, 3hp or course. I'm in my mid 40's with a little luck I'll be able to use it for a long time regardless of what I want to make.

Your right I do not like wasting wood, especially that perfect piece that you could get three bowls from instead of making a bunch of mulch.

I do however agree that most people can not store large bowls but I like 'em. 12-16 is what makes a good salad bowl but I want the room to make bigger if I want and the 2436 if adding the extra large outboard you can go up to 48, I really never see that needed but if I buy the 1640 it will not have the option. I intend to buy the 2436 with the short outboard extension. If I want the big one later I can always add that and move the little one to the other end. 36 will be plenty long but then again I could add to that too if need be. I like the option to grow and even if I don't who cares, I will still have a great lathe. Thanks bob and everyone. It will still be awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    All great points Bob, I'm just getting a little impatient and the 1640 was a mere temptation. I am going to just wait and buy the 2436 then I will not be disappointed, 3hp or course. I'm in my mid 40's with a little luck I'll be able to use it for a long time regardless of what I want to make.

Your right I do not like wasting wood, especially that perfect piece that you could get three bowls from instead of making a bunch of mulch.

I do however agree that most people can not store large bowls but I like 'em. 12-16 is what makes a good salad bowl but I want the room to make bigger if I want and the 2436 if adding the extra large outboard you can go up to 48, I really never see that needed but if I buy the 1640 it will not have the option. I intend to buy the 2436 with the short outboard extension. If I want the big one later I can always add that and move the little one to the other end. 36 will be plenty long but then again I could add to that too if need be. I like the option to grow and even if I don't who cares, I will still have a great lathe. Thanks bob and everyone. It will still be awhile.
    I think you are making a wise decision. While a 16" lathe may be all you'll need, I sure never regretted buying a 24" swing machine. The added space between the piece and the banjo is nice to have. The Oneway 2436 is my favorite. What a beautiful lathe!
    Don't forget to post pics when the day comes.