Thread: Laguna lathe issue- Customer Service

Laguna lathe issue- Customer Service

I just wanted to post about my experience with Laguna support for my 1836 Lathe. Looking to upgrade (This will be my fourth lathe the last a Jet 1642.) I did my research (Including reading several posts here and on other turning forums.) and decide it was the most bang for the buck. I ordered from Craft and ten days or so later I received the lathe.

From the start the tailstock of the lathe was acting funny and after a couple of days it froze in place. I called support and the rep (Adam) was responsive but told me the tech he need to talk to was gone for the day. This was late on a Friday and he told me he would call me back on Monday morning. Over the weekend I removed the quill and was able to free it up without doing any damage but it still wasn’t working as it should. Monday morning about 10:00 Adam called back and we discussed what was going on and I told him the tailstock was now working but from time to time would act like it hits a sticking point once on every rotation. It might act like this for several minutes and then it would work normally for a while. He immediately said let’s get you a new tailstock that works as it should. Ten minutes after we hung up I received an email indicating the tailstock had been ordered.

I would rate the response as excellent. The two things I liked most were he returned the call (Communication is so important.) just as he said he would and the fact that he didn’t use a wait and see if it breaks completely approach to replacing the tailstock. He commented on how it takes the shine off of a new tool when you have issues and didn’t want that to happen with this lathe.

If anyone is interested after I use the lathe for a while I will post my impression of the lathe itself. So far I like it.

Neal

Always good to hear about good customer service! When you write about your new lathe, be sure to include a few photos! Have fun!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Yes, please do post your review of it later, whether good or bad. This lathe certainly does have every indication of being the new "best buy" lathe out there but I think several would-be purchasers are still reluctant due to some older reputation issues with Laguna. And their new 24/36 should be coming out soon allegedly, which could also end up being a "best buy" if the indicated price ends up being true (3HP 24" lathe for less than a 3520B).

That's great feedback.

I wish there was a central location where everyone posted customer service stories, rating their experiences, sorted by category/ratings. I know I pay attention when someone reports good or bad experiences - these often affect my decisions when purchasing.

Maybe it would shame some companies into working to better their service and ratings.

JKJ

Neal - Thanks posting re your experience with Laguna. I'm moving in a couple of months and have a spot picked out in my new (but unfortunately smaller) shop for a lathe upgrade. I've been looking at the model you bought but had seen reference to a lack of customer support; glad to hear that that has not been your experience. One other question that you may be able to help with. I'm 6'1" and have seen references that say this machine has a comfortable work height for folks somewhat shorter. How tall are you and how comfortable are you with the work height of the lathe? Cheers, Dave

Thanks everyone for the encouragement I was a little concerned it would sound like a Laguna ad.

Justin, Steve and Dave I will certainly do a follow up on the lathe in a month or two and give my opinion of the lathe after some usage. I was actually one of those would be purchasers that was reluctant because of Laguna's past reputation. I was turning a large reverse turned bowl from a malformed pear tree that was very out of balance today. It was beating me to death but the lathe seemed fine.

John I love the idea of a central location for reviews and ratings. I like looking at them even if I am not going to buy that exact product if I can get a feel for the manufacturer it really helps.

Dave I am not as tall as you are but I do like my spindle a little higher than normal. The lathe's low profile wasn't an issue for me because I don't use the legs on my lathes. I have two 13" pipes that go through the (wooden) floor of my shop and are buried in the ground & filled with concrete like a pier on a house. I have adjustable platforms on top of the pipes that I mount the lathe to. This allows me to set the spindle height to my personal preference and of course gives me a rock solid base for my lathe.

Sorry for the slow response I will be more attentive from now on.

Neal

Neal,

One thing to ask you. Was your customer service conversation with Adam at Craft Supplies or Adam at Laguna?
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

David it was Adam from Laguna in California.

Neal

Do not mean to hijack the OP's thread, but to also complement Laguna. I purchased one of their bandsaws and from the beginning there was a vibration that should not be there. After several calls and doing what they suggested, Laguna said that they were going to send me a new saw and pick the defective one up. 4 days later it was in my shop and the new one is perfect, thumbs up for Laguna!