I just wanted to post about my experience with Laguna support for my 1836 Lathe. Looking to upgrade (This will be my fourth lathe the last a Jet 1642.) I did my research (Including reading several posts here and on other turning forums.) and decide it was the most bang for the buck. I ordered from Craft and ten days or so later I received the lathe.

From the start the tailstock of the lathe was acting funny and after a couple of days it froze in place. I called support and the rep (Adam) was responsive but told me the tech he need to talk to was gone for the day. This was late on a Friday and he told me he would call me back on Monday morning. Over the weekend I removed the quill and was able to free it up without doing any damage but it still wasn’t working as it should. Monday morning about 10:00 Adam called back and we discussed what was going on and I told him the tailstock was now working but from time to time would act like it hits a sticking point once on every rotation. It might act like this for several minutes and then it would work normally for a while. He immediately said let’s get you a new tailstock that works as it should. Ten minutes after we hung up I received an email indicating the tailstock had been ordered.

I would rate the response as excellent. The two things I liked most were he returned the call (Communication is so important.) just as he said he would and the fact that he didn’t use a wait and see if it breaks completely approach to replacing the tailstock. He commented on how it takes the shine off of a new tool when you have issues and didn’t want that to happen with this lathe.

If anyone is interested after I use the lathe for a while I will post my impression of the lathe itself. So far I like it.

Neal