Thread: Delta Jointer 37-190

Delta Jointer 37-190

Just picked up this used Delta jointer. Came with some new knives so thought I'd replace them. The instructions i found on line go on about needing a .060" feeler gauge, lowering the outfeed table etc. Isn't it enough to bring the blades up to exactly the height of the outfeed table? I'm not really sure where the feeler gauge is supposed to go anyway.

Thanks guys,
    Scott

Also...I may have put the retaining bars in backwards! There is a high side and a low side. Which side goes toward the blade? I ran a board and it made a loud sort of bang near the end. I stopped and inspected the blades and 2 now have a slight nick in them.

I know, it can't go in backwards...but it can if you take the screws out completely to clean up rust etc and didn't notice the asymmetry when you took it apart.

Scott
    Last edited by Scott Welty; 01-18-2017 at 8:51 AM.

I am pretty sure that the higher side should be against the knives in the cutter head. I have not been to my shop to look at my jointer tonight yet,I will let you know if I am wrong. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    I am pretty sure that the higher side should be against the knives in the cutter head..
    ^^^This^^^

I set the out-feed about 1/8" or so above the cutter head drum, and use the stick method to set them. Make the final out-feed height setting with test runs.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

"Stick method" ??? Help me...

Scott

Scott - LOTS of great videos on YouTube about setting jointer knives. I believe the stick method is simply putting a cutoff on the outfeed table hanging over the cutterhead and adjusting until the knive just picks up and moves the stick. Google it for more info. I use a Oneway MultiGauge.

Yes there are! Went with the method where you measure how far a blade drags a metal rule down the out feed table as you rotate the head by hand. Adjusted until all 3 blades drug the rule 3/16. Working great. Thanks all!
    Scott