Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    There are big fixed costs only one of which is the filters. Big canister filters - and you will likely need 2 of them - run over $200 each including shipping. I guess you might score something on e-bay or craigslist. There are lots of cyclones that come up locally on Craigslist. I bought mine for a few hundred dollars ... then added fabricating a plenum, a dedicated VFD, the filters, ductwork, gates, sanding and painting, install time ... as you can guess it adds up. Some of that cost will be there regardless of whether you buy new or attempt to design yourself. And actually the duct design is very important. There were a lot of folks here on the Creek that provided valuable feedback that helped make the system not just functional but truly superb.

I would add that there are attributes that might not seem significant but are. Noise, which is a function primarily of fan blade type, is a big factor that you will have to live with for a long time. Another is maintenance. Make sure the cartridges can be easily removed, cleaned and returned to get you back into operation. Good luck with your project.
    I thought the Oneida systems shipped WITH the filter(s)?

I upgraded to a 3hp cyclone from a 2hp cyclone, and while it is a considerable improvement, should have gone with a 5hp. My small widebelt sander still has a pile of sanding dust on the back side. It works pretty well with the edge sander, but I upgraded to the Grizzly G0564 which has a sort of scoop to catch the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I upgraded to a 3hp cyclone from a 2hp cyclone, and while it is a considerable improvement, should have gone with a 5hp. My small widebelt sander still has a pile of sanding dust on the back side. It works pretty well with the edge sander, but I upgraded to the Grizzly G0564 which has a sort of scoop to catch the dust.
    Well I think I'm sold on the V5000 Oneida model which is 5hp. The question is, what *does* it come with, and what do I *need* to get it running. Also, the other question is where can I buy it and maybe be able to finance it. Looks like it's going to set me back about $2500 bucks and cash is a bit tight at the moment.

Think Amazon sells them and you could use an Amazon Store Card or their CCard. They also sell ClearVue

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    Well I think I'm sold on the V5000 Oneida model which is 5hp. The question is, what *does* it come with, and what do I *need* to get it running. Also, the other question is where can I buy it and maybe be able to finance it. Looks like it's going to set me back about $2500 bucks and cash is a bit tight at the moment.
    When you click on the V5000 it first gives you the option of mounting (none, two free standing choices depending on what size barrel you plan to use and a wall mount) then the next page gives the choice of barrel (none 35g/55g in steel or fiber). You obviously need both but can build your own support and source your own barrel which may or may not save you money but it will likely cost time. There are then 3 basic options to add or not. The RF remote, the bin sensor and the filter monitor. I consider the remote a must have some might consider the bin sensor a must too. The bin sensor and filter efficiency monitor can be easily added later or home built to save money.

So to suck dust you need the unit, some way to mount it to the wall or stand it up and a barrel. Beyond that you have the 3 main accessories I mentioned but would definitely buy the remote with purchase as they integrate it into the magnetic switch.

So buying the minimum I suggest (all from Oneida) would be the V5000, the wall mount, the 35 gallon fiber drum and the remote with shipping that will be right at $2300. Going whole hog with a 55 gallon steel drum, freestanding stand and all three accessories it jumps about $400 so depending on how you go your range is $2300-2700 shipped.

I didn't really address what the base price comes with, you get the motor, impeller, cyclone, filter and mag switch so again everything to function except some way to mount it and the barrel.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-17-2017 at 3:22 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Think Amazon sells them and you could use an Amazon Store Card or their CCard. They also sell ClearVue
    This is the only one I found https://www.amazon.com/Oneida-V-5000...oneida+cyclone

I didn't do the math but I think the price is more expensive than ordering through Oneida as it appears the one on Amazon has a free standing mount, 35g fiber barrel and remote for 2590 shipped.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    When you click on the V5000 it first gives you the option of mounting (none, two free standing choices depending on what size barrel you plan to use and a wall mount) then the next page gives the choice of barrel (none 35g/55g in steel or fiber). You obviously need both but can build your own support and source your own barrel which may or may not save you money but it will likely cost time. There are then 3 basic options to add or not. The RF remote, the bin sensor and the filter monitor. I consider the remote a must have some might consider the bin sensor a must too. The bin sensor and filter efficiency monitor can be easily added later or home built to save money.

So to suck dust you need the unit, some way to mount it to the wall or stand it up and a barrel. Beyond that you have the 3 main accessories I mentioned but would definitely buy the remote with purchase as they integrate it into the magnetic switch.

So buying the minimum I suggest (all from Oneida) would be the V5000, the wall mount, the 35 gallon fiber drum and the remote with shipping that will be right at $2300. Going whole hog with a 55 gallon steel drum, freestanding stand and all three accessories it jumps about $400 so depending on how you go your range is $2300-2700 shipped.

I didn't really address what the base price comes with, you get the motor, impeller, cyclone, filter and mag switch so again everything to function except some way to mount it and the barrel.
    What's the magnetic switch?

Think shipping is extra on the Oneida website price as well which may bring the Amazon one in line

The V-3000 only needs a 20 amp circuit while the 5000 requires 30 amp circuit.

What size impeller has the 5000?

Quote Originally Posted by dennis davidson View Post
    The V-3000 only needs a 20 amp circuit while the 5000 requires 30 amp circuit.
    Damn... There goes $150 in 10/3 wiring and a 30 amp receptacle.

Wait for a holiday. I bought my v3000 from Oneida around July 4th I think it was and it included free remote and was discounted 10 or 20 percent or so. might be worth the wait.

Your future plans for tools like a J/P or similar separates plus tools like sanders dictate you should make a fairly big jump up for your new dust collection system. When I bought my J/P I actually had to upgrade my cyclone to keep up with it and other tools benefited accordingly. I'll also recommend one of the Oneida systems, but suggest you speak with them to determine which might be best for your current and future tool plans. There's no harm in bigger, but a whole lot of hurt in too small. The V series may fit the bill well. I also suggest you work things out so you can use a 55 gallon drum under it if you can, even if it means putting the motor between joists if that's a possibility for you. You'll appreciate that once you have that J/P... DAMHIKT!

Don't be afraid to negotiate with Oneida, either...I scored a nice unit with a scratch on the side and they shaved off some nice coin as an incentive, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I thought the Oneida systems shipped WITH the filter(s)?
    When I wrote that you hadn't indicated a preference for mfg/model except stating your existing HF Model. I am not super familiar with Oneida's product line - but if there are canisters ... you are paying for them (and will again to replace). Point is that there are lots of parts to a successful dust collection system including the design, piping, gates, cyclone and fan, ambient air cleaning and air particulate measurement. Design plays a significant role in such things as (labor involved in) maintenance.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Wait for a holiday. I bought my v3000 from Oneida around July 4th I think it was and it included free remote and was discounted 10 or 20 percent or so. might be worth the wait.

What? Wait 6 months for a sale? Who does that?
    Mike