Thread: Power matic 90 motor ?

Power matic 90 motor ?

I picked up a powermatic 90 three phase anyone have experience switching motors to a single phase one? I have a vfd I would rather use any one ever put one on this machine? Any help would be appreciated. I want to start turning asap.

Many have put VFD's on the PM 90. There is a lot of information on the PM 90 and putting a VFD on over at the OWWM site. You need to post your serial number if available and a picture as there are sever al variations of this model. Roy Turbett is very knowledgeable of the PM 90 and he frequents this site and OWWM. He will most likely respond. The PM 90 is a solid lathe. Many have increased the swing by raising the headstock and tailstock. With Roy's help I raised mine for a 18" swing. I am very satisfied with my PM 90.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I converted a 3 phase Unisaw to a single phase once. Of course it required a new motor. The next thing was to rewire the starter. Googled for instructions. Don't remember the link but it shouldn't be hard to find. As I recall I replaced the heaters in the starter also.

The old 3 phase motor was full of sawdust and there was some charring.

I may have the instructions on a different computer. You can PM me if you would like and I'll search.

If your motor is good, the VFD is probably a cheaper method of getting the ole 90 running.