Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to use to sign turnings?

What to use to sign turnings?

I just started signing my turnings and tried a fine tip sharpie. But I don't like the way it writes. Almost seems as if the pen is dry as the signing is light but when I try the pen on a piece of paper it looks fine. I read that an archival pen might be better but when I looked they come in so many sizes and I have no idea which to choose. So I was curious what you guys use. Thanks.

David, I use either a ZIG Millennium or a PIGMA Micron archival ink pens, both of them with .05 tips. As long as you sign the bare wood before applying finish, nothing seems to take it off.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I've been using a pyrography knife tip lately. I've used an engraver and a fine tipped sharpie in the past.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    David, I use either a ZIG Millennium or a PIGMA Micron archival ink pens, both of them with .05 tips. As long as you sign the bare wood before applying finish, nothing seems to take it off.
    Same for me. On really dark pieces, a writing tip on my pyro setup.

Also use a Pigma Micron pen.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post

Thanks guys, I appreciate the recommendations. Am I correct to assume that the .05 tips mean .05mm size tips?

05 is actually .45 mm and the 005 is .20 mm.

For me, extra fine sharpie or Copic Multiliner SP 0.1 but mostly burn with RazorTip Ball 1/32.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I use the Faber-Castell Pitt Artist Pen. I get them at Hobby Lobby and have been very pleased with them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    I just started signing my turnings and tried a fine tip sharpie. But I don't like the way it writes. Almost seems as if the pen is dry as the signing is light but when I try the pen on a piece of paper it looks fine. I read that an archival pen might be better but when I looked they come in so many sizes and I have no idea which to choose. So I was curious what you guys use. Thanks.
    Dave,

For light-colored woods I started using the black Faber-Castell Pitt pens, india ink. Someone on another woodturning forum highly recommended them. They work much better than the extra fine Sharpies.

I got this set:
    20759-0089 -- http://www.dickblick.com/items/20759-0089/

At the time I ordered I didn't see this smaller set which is half the price and still has all the pens I use on turnings:
    20759-2029 -- http://www.dickblick.com/items/20759-2029/

For dark woods like walnut and ebony I use a cheap vibrating electric engraving pen. I had to grind the tip to a sharp point.

I've tried the woodburning but I never got the hang of it.

JKJ

I ordered from Signature Medallions custom made coins. They ran about $1.30 each. They look fantastic. I supplied my own art work. Great guy to work with.

RP
    IMG_2713.jpg

Where did you get the Signature Medalllions cut made coins for $1.30 each. I'd order a bunch of them at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Edington View Post
    I ordered from Signature Medallions custom made coins. They ran about $1.30 each. They look fantastic. I supplied my own art work. Great guy to work with.

RP
    IMG_2713.jpg
    Thought about doing this wasn't confident enough to order the minimum on these, although I do something sort of similar using pewter buttons. It doesn't have my name on them and I still sign/name the work in pen underneath, it does give me a little bit of a trademark. The buttons are only about 95/100", so I do kind of wish they were a little bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Harvill View Post
    Where did you get the Signature Medalllions cut made coins for $1.30 each. I'd order a bunch of them at that price.
    http://signaturemedallions.com/home-1.html. $1.48/ea if you order 200 of the 1". You have to order at least 100.

Thanks guys, I just ordered a set of pens.