Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to use to sign turnings?

Bought the same laser for the same purpose at about the same time(!) Will your rotary attachment do a larger and heavier piece like a bowl?

I use either a wood burner, Dremel Engraver, or Pigma permanent marker. Most of the time it's the Dremel. You do have to practice with the pyrography or Dremel to get a decent signature.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Glenn, The A5, as you know is a smaller frame size so my Rotary Pen Accessory©🇨🇦 does not have enough room for bowls. It is limited in size and weight. I have however successfully set the laser frame over a larger bowl and engraved on the bottom, as it will do on any project. I have seen another version of the Rotary that was built for larger projects but it was a complete rebuild of the frame supporting structure of the laser.

I have used several things, but mostly a pyrography pen and in a close second place I use Sakura Pigma Micron pens. I have some pieces that are more than ten years old and both are holding up just fine. I have actually read arguments that burned signatures will fade, but I don't buy that claim. Regarding the ink fading, I'm sure that under unrealistic conditions (maybe like driftwood on a tropical beach) it will fade ... and so will the color of the wood itself.
    Bill

For wood burning, what are people using? Would something like this work or would it require something more expensive to get a nice look?
    Thanks, Tom

https://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Hollow...3644542&sr=8-1

[QUOTE=Thomas Wilson80;2802151]For wood burning, what are people using? Would something like this work or would it require something more expensive to get a nice look?
    Thanks, Tom

Yes it can be used, but will be hard to control holding it that far from the end, also the tip to write with is not ideal, you ca try it, it is nice to have a soldering iron.
    Have fun and take care

I use my pyro setup with the smallest ball. If the wood is really dark, which none of mine is I would use a vibrating tool and color it light like Cindy Drozda does.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .