Thread: Logier Rifflers vs Auriou?

Logier Rifflers vs Auriou?

I am thinking of getting a set of Rifflers. Has anyone used Logier Rifflers? They appear to be a little more reasonable in cost compared to the Auriou rifflers. I was hoping someone had some experience with the Logier before I pull the trigger on a set.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Many Kind Regards . . . . Allen
    No, the sky is not falling - just chunks of it are.

I have a couple of left handed cabinet rasps from Logier and I am more than happy with them.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by allen long View Post
    I am thinking of getting a set of Rifflers. Has anyone used Logier Rifflers? They appear to be a little more reasonable in cost compared to the Auriou rifflers. I was hoping someone had some experience with the Logier before I pull the trigger on a set.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Many Kind Regards . . . . Allen
    I don't think you can go wrong either way. Once you get to that level it becomes a matter of preference as much as anything. I have Aurious rasps and a couple of their rifflers, but have been eyeballing Liogiers to plug a couple holes in my collection. For me the major attraction with Liogier is their use of modern coatings in their higher-end line (which cost more than Aurious)

It's "Liogier" BTW (note extra 'i).

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    I agree with Patrick and Tom -

I have LH rasps from both - cannot complain about either.

Dave B

Someone actually did a side-by-side comparison of the cabinet rasps. You can read it at the following link:

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/r...ad-test-141118

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Someone actually did a side-by-side comparison of the cabinet rasps. You can read it at the following link:

Also this article, which included basically all of the well-known manufacturers: https://www.canadianwoodworking.com/...-cabinet-rasps

Note the chunky handle and relatively slim and deeply-tapered profile on the Liogier. I actually like that combination, but others may not (and of course you can fix the handle if it isn't to your liking).

The machine-made Corradis also look interesting, and are pretty cheap for the quality if you buy enough of them. Shipping from corradishop.com is ~$37 for one 10" cabinet rasp, but only increases to ~$45 for a set of 5.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-13-2017 at 8:59 PM.

Sorry about the double-reply, but a couple things caught my attention in that post and subsequent thread:

First, he emphasizes the fact that the Liogier keeps cutting when loaded. Other sources (including the Canadian Woodworker article I linked) have noted that as well, but they've also noted that the Liogiers load up faster to begin with. This is a case where superficial perceptions are misleading, and he appears to have fallen into that trap.

Second, in a later post the reviewer compares how much better the Liogier is to the vast improvement that his L-N 7 was over a classic Stanley 7. That tends to make me doubt his judgment. The L-N 7 is a magnificent plane, and I have several of their planes and love them, but a skilled user (one who knows how to tune and configure their tools) shouldn't see all that much *functional* difference.

The bottom line is that I just don't think that his methods or judgment are sound. In particular I don't buy that the Liogier would be *that* much better than the Auriou, particularly when everybody else who's reviewed them rates them pretty closely (and both excellent). All FWIW of course :-).

One other possibility is that Auriou had some product problems when they when through their period of labor unrest. His post is from a few years after that...
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 01-13-2017 at 9:34 PM.

Those were both good articles. Thanks guys!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke