Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 3 HP Dust Collectors abd JDS WOW

New 3 HP Dust Collectors abd JDS WOW

Recently, I have noticed that there has been a new style of cyclone dust collector on the market. Several different companies have marketed them including Laguna, Jet, JDS and others. I was curious about them so I gathered the information for three of them to make a comparison of the 3 HP models. They all look pretty similar with a relatively short cone and mounted on wheels. Below is a picture of the three collectors.

DC 3 HP Pics.jpg

I also put together a table comparing the three machines. They all are pretty similar but the JDS machine stands out from the others. The Jet and Laguna both have radial fans and the JDS has a shrouded radial fan. In addition, the JDS is heavier than the others by almost 100 pounds. Below is a pciture of the JDS fan.

JDS Turbo-Fan.jpg

But the big thing was the performance curve of the JDS. It is the best performing of the three especially at high static pressures. In fact, the curve shows 1000 cfm at 12” sp. This is pretty extraordinary for any 3 HP dust collector. In addition, they claim a max static pressure of 16.2”. I will have to note that I have no idea how they ran the tests. I have contacted them for that information but have gotten nothing. I did get the test procedure for the Jet and Laguna and the testing is done well.

If I had to pick between the three machines, the JDS would have to be the one based upon the performance data provided by JDS. However, I have not read any reviews in a forum of the unit and would therefore be hesitant. This machine does not seem to be available. The only reviews that I found were on Amazon. There were two reviews there that were verified purchasers but these were from 2009 and 2010 and were positive reviews. A similar machine is available in Europe by Axminster. It seems a bit strange that it was available years ago and in Europe and not now in the US.

It would be great for anyone who has one of these machines to run some performance testing to validate the manufacturer test results. This would be especially interesting for the JDS unit. If the claims are correct, this is the best dust collector that I have found. What I do not understand, if the claims are true, why would anyone the other similar ones. And, why is the JDS not available and so few comments on forums.

Below are the performance curves and the comparison table for these three machines.

Compare Curves.jpg Compare Table.jpg

The claim of 1000 CFM at 12" SP for the JDS is still suspect, but if the JDS unit has the type of impeller pictured above, it could be possible. The shrouded fan impeller with the plates on top and bottom is considerably more efficient aerodynamically, but is prone to clogging and imbalance if long stringy shavings make it through the cyclone. (very light planer shavings most likely) The possible clogging issue is why most impellers have a radial fin open design, commonly called "material handling impellers".

Very interesting. I'd be very interested in the JDS also. A dust collector is on my need list for the end of the year when the new shop is built.

Red
    RED

i posted about this in another thread, there is no independent data from a trust source on this unit, I was looking at it too, but to drop that much cash and hope................. scary

There was some testing of dust collectors in January 2006 by American Woodworker. The results for the JDS are very similar to the curve presented above.

I find it very intriguing that it has such good performance but not available. It appears to me the performance may due to the fan type. But if this is the case, why have other mfg not looked at this design?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    There was some testing of dust collectors in January 2006 by American Woodworker. The results for the JDS are very similar to the curve presented above.

I find it very intriguing that it has such good performance but not available. It appears to me the performance may due to the fan type. But if this is the case, why have other mfg not looked at this design?
    Take a look at the drawing for the JET parts list. It doesn't show a lot of detail on the fan but what is there looks a lot like the JDS photo.
    Jet Fan.JPG
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I have the JDS 3100 it will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch there's two down Sides first one is unless they have inprove the flappers that clean the filter they wear out and Break . I talked to John at JDS the other day about that matter and he informed me that they were getting out of the dust collector business
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by John A langley View Post
    I have the JDS 3100 it will suck the chrome off a trailer hitch there's two down Sides first one is unless they have inprove the flappers that clean the filter they wear out and Break . I talked to John at JDS the other day about that matter and he informed me that they were getting out of the dust collector business
    I recently bought one and am curious what type of duct work you used with yours. Oneida is recommending 24gauge spiral with their 5hp rated at 2100cfm. I believe this one is rated at 2350 cfm.
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 07-01-2022 at 12:27 PM.

I have certainly read that the shrouded fan impeller works better but it can get clogged easily. I would think a cyclone would solve that problem. Would that impleer type be an easy upgrade? Who sells one?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have certainly read that the shrouded fan impeller works better but it can get clogged easily. I would think a cyclone would solve that problem. Would that impleer type be an easy upgrade? Who sells one?
    Bill D
    Probably cheaper to just buy a South Bend and avoid the headaches of retrofitting yours. You would also likely need to change your duct work.

South Bend? OP says the maker is out of the business.
    Bill D.

South Bend? OP says the maker is out of the business.
    Bill D.
    Grizzly bought the brand and revived it as their "high end" branding.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Will Grizzly sell just the impeller?
    Bill D

Will Grizzly sell just the impeller?
    Bill D
    Yep . The impeller on the South Bend 3HP is 16" , $342 .

I am doubtfull of 3hp. Grizzly says 9 amps at 220 volts. To me that is about 1.5Hp. Jet .is 13 amps.
    online calculators say about 17 amps/230 volts single phase. input for 3hp.
    Bill D