Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: SawmillCreek Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    They didn't even have CRTs for student use at Penn State when I took my manditory programming course...it was PL/1 on punch cards! With half-hour waits to find out how bad you screwed up...
    Same here, more or less: Algol-60 on Burroughs mainframes. My first actual computer programming was in high school, assembly language on an IBM 1401.

Didn't see a CRT until I started working...DEC VT52 or some such.

In a past life before Billey G made it big I tried my life as a programmer consultant. I got a contract from a company called "Data 20". The made an add on card for the "Commador Vic 20". it would up the 16 RAM to to a wopping 80 k and provided a full 80 char. 24 line display on a standard TV. I wrote them a word processor in 6800 assembler that emulated "Word Star".
    Later on I wrote several program in a CPM enviroment in 8080 assembler and Z-80 assembler. Then came windows and I decided it was time to quite learning operating systems and new languages and got out og programing while I has some sembelance of sanity left.

Would you believe I still have a Comodor Vic 20 and it still works..
    Last edited by Don Baer; 10-13-2005 at 7:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    Hey! I figured it out! Aaron, you were right about clearing the cache
    Attachment 24690
    Everything works now!!!!
    Thanks for your help.
    For those of you that may also be having this problem.
    In Firefox Menu bar:
    Tools>Options...
    Then select Privacy
    Press the Clear button next to Cache

It works great!!!!!
    Thanks Larry .. Worked for me too !!!
    Tony

Lightbulb

Lets add a staircase forum for Richard Wolf and I.
    We don't have a place to camp out.

There are no staircase web forums that I have found.

Just thinking out loud. Never mind guys.

Steve

There appears to be a bug in the "Insert Link" function. When clicking on the Insert Link button, a prompt used to come up asking for the text you wanted associated with the link. That prompt doesn't come up now.

Inserting the attached link ... http://www.sawmillcreek.org ... I (and many other folks) know where to change the HTML to make the link display as "Sawmill Creek" or whatever we want. There are folks who don't know what to change and having the prompt come up made it nice for those of us who are just plain lazy.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    There appears to be a bug in the "Insert Link" function. When clicking on the Insert Link button, a prompt used to come up asking for the text you wanted associated with the link. That prompt doesn't come up now.

Inserting the attached link ... http://www.sawmillcreek.org ... I (and many other folks) know where to change the HTML to make the link display as "Sawmill Creek" or whatever we want. There are folks who don't know what to change and having the prompt come up made it nice for those of us who are just plain lazy.

Rob
    I have found that if you 1st highlight the text you want to display sawmill creek BEFORE you cllick the link button you can accomplish the desired effect.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning
    I have found that if you 1st highlight the text you want to display sawmill creek BEFORE you cllick the link button you can accomplish the desired effect.
    Larry - that does work. It's nothing I would have thought of trying. Still think the popup was nice.

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Larry - that does work. It's nothing I would have thought of trying. Still think the popup was nice.

Rob
    Rob,
    I guess I have a different way of doing things. I kinda like to type out my entire message then go back an review what I have typed adding the links at that point. That way my train of thought is not interupted by adding a link here and there as I type. Kind of a 2 step process.
    The highlighting before clicking the link icon seemed very intuitive to me, because it fits right into the way I compose a post. I actually didn't know there was another to add links.

By the way, when I add a link to another SMC thread I usually go to the thread and copy the link prior to starting my post. Then when I am ready to create the link I just paste in the URL from the clipboard. However if I want to make links to multiple threads, I submit the post with the 1st link, go copy the next thread link, edit my post then paste in the next URL etc... Is there a better way?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Post How to get to a website when DNS is not working

You can try using the NSLOOKUP function - it's a command in TCP/IP that allows you to determine the IP address of a site. I am querying the ISP's name server to resolve the website name to an IP address.

It may not work if the entry's already been changed - see below:
    C:\>nslookup www.sawmillcreek.org
    Server: ns1.dl.cox.net
    Address: 68.1.208.30

*** ns1.dl.cox.net can't find www.sawmillcreek.org: Non-existent domain***

You must do this from a command prompt/console window for it to work. Of course, if the site is down, it doesn't matter if you have the IP address...

Regards,
    Marc
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Langille
    You can try using the NSLOOKUP function - it's a command in TCP/IP that allows you to determine the IP address of a site. I am querying the ISP's name server to resolve the website name to an IP address.

It may not work if the entry's already been changed - see below:
    C:\>nslookup www.sawmillcreek.org
    Server: ns1.dl.cox.net
    Address: 68.1.208.30
    Your post is titled "How to get to a website when DNS is not working"...you do realize that 'nslookup' uses DNS, right?
    (Hint: 'ns1.dl.cox.net' is your ISP's primary DNS server.)

Yes, and sorry for any confusion...

I am referring to obtaining the cached DNS entry on the local name server, which is useful if a name server further along the route is not resolving correctly, you get time outs, etc... I did say "you can try... " - obviously it doesn't work if your local name server is down.

It's just a general statement, with sawmillcreek as the example.
    (I see now that I didn't explain that part very well - oops.)
    Last edited by Marc Langille; 10-26-2005 at 1:05 PM.
    Marc
    NWA Woodworker-Tech

NSLOOKUP wouldn't work in this case with a local cache as the address changed with the move. The delay in access was largely waiting for the new information to proliferate across the DNS world. Some folks are still having issues "down stream" based on email and IM I'm receiving. I use top-level DNS servers in my configurations (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3) and access is obviously working...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

"Delete thread" option is missing from edit..

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Langille
    Yes, and sorry for any confusion...

I am referring to obtaining the cached DNS entry on the local name server, which is useful if a name server further along the route is not resolving correctly, you get time outs, etc... I did say "you can try... " - obviously it doesn't work if your local name server is down.

It's just a general statement, with sawmillcreek as the example.
    (I see now that I didn't explain that part very well - oops.)
    Note that you can provide nslookup with a second parameter, e.g:

nslookup sawmillcreek.org ns1.granitecanyon.com

It will use the second name as the nameserver to query...sometimes gives better results than the local one at your ISP. There are a bunch of other options: enter 'nslookup' without any parameters and then type '?' or 'help' at the '>' prompt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    The delay in access was largely waiting for the new information to proliferate across the DNS world. Some folks are still having issues "down stream" based on email and IM I'm receiving. I use top-level DNS servers in my configurations (4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3) and access is obviously working...
    The new DNS entry had propagated through to me by about 9AM PDT yesterday, but the site was still down when I went to bed last night, so it wasn't all DNS issues.