Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SawmillCreek Upgrade

SawmillCreek Upgrade

I upgraded the SawmillCreek forum software this evening. You will find a number of feature enhancements, notably the ability to add images INLINE, as well as AJAX support in a number of areas. (For the non-technical: AJAX makes things a bit faster by preventing the entire page from being reloaded).

Additionally, moderators will notice quite a bit more flexibility..

I'll post more tomorrow!!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Aaron, great job on the quick turnaround on this!

I know I have stored my images at another location, to be able to post them inline. Now I will try and get into the habbit of uploading them! This is a great added feature!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Aaron Check the Icons

Aaron,

Possibly there is a problem with Firefox and the upgrade. When I click on any of the icons nothing happens.

Question "roadmap" feature

Aaron, with the upgrade, I see what I will call a "roadmap" to a thread at the top of the thread before I log in. What one sees woth this feature is a single post with the rest appearing in a indented list of names and starting text.

But then, once I log in, the roadmap goes away and I see what I used to see before the upgrade. Is there a way that someone can opt for the "roadmap" once they are logged in?

I'm getting a javascript error on the search page. Other than that, seems to be faster. I can't wait to try out the image features. I'll have to get going on my next project I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Aaron, with the upgrade, I see what I will call a "roadmap" to a thread at the top of the thread before I log in. What one sees woth this feature is a single post with the rest appearing in a indented list of names and starting text.

But then, once I log in, the roadmap goes away and I see what I used to see before the upgrade. Is there a way that someone can opt for the "roadmap" once they are logged in?
    I noticed that the other day too Frank. You can switch between the different modes through the Display Mode drop-down at the top right of the page.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by John Hart
    I noticed that the other day too Frank. You can switch between the different modes through the Display Mode drop-down at the top right of the page.
    John, thanks, I did not notice that button. I really like this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    Aaron,

Possibly there is a problem with Firefox and the upgrade. When I click on any of the icons nothing happens.
    Keith,

I tested with Firefox running (rv:1.7.10 Gecko/20050716 Firefox/1.0.6) with no problems. Which icons are you referring to? Is your Firefox up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    I'm getting a javascript error on the search page. Other than that, seems to be faster.
    Matt,
    Which area of the search are you referring to (e.g. The search drop-down, the Advanced Search, etc)? Also, what browser and version are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    I really like this feature.
    Frank,

Ah welcome to Hybrid mode! It was my favorite feature when we went to version 3 last year. The enhancement to it in this upgrade is, with the addition of AJAX, clicking on the individual message titles (in the thread window) causes the messages to appear blazingly fast in comparison (also due to the new caching scheme). Very nice.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Awesome, Aaron! You've made the upgrade totally seamless at this end. Absolutely no issues as of yet. Many thanks for another smooth transition! (We don't "pay" you enough! I vote you get, at least, a 10% increase over your current wage!)
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Aaron, since you installed the upgrade when I go to a thread say following a New Posts search, I get three windows open up with a runtime error...the first will say "Vb phrase undefined"...the next runtime error will say "AJAX compatible underfined" and the 3rd runtime erro will say "Vb editor is underfined"......any suggestions? I've tried cleaning up all of my temp files, cookies, and history just incase anything there was causing the problem. I'm using IE...........
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Aaron,
    Thats great! I am low tech.....but I will try to enjoy the improvements. Thanks!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Frank,

Ah welcome to Hybrid mode! It was my favorite feature when we went to version 3 last year. The enhancement to it in this upgrade is, with the addition of AJAX, clicking on the individual message titles (in the thread window) causes the messages to appear blazingly fast in comparison (also due to the new caching scheme). Very nice.
    So we have had hybrid mode for a while, I never noticed . I guess that I should pay more attention to the various buttons and try everything out.

I was reading in a previous post about the fate of Sawmill Creek being "uncertain". If the Sawmill Creek website may no longer exist in the near future, why do the upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weisner
    I was reading in a previous post about the fate of Sawmill Creek being "uncertain". If the Sawmill Creek website may no longer exist in the near future, why do the upgrade?
    The Creek keeps flowing...and getting better...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=24984
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Improvements ? Upgrades ? Geesh, I'm still trying to figure out all of the features we already have. The in-line text and pix will be really nice to have.

Thanks Aaron !!

Dave Anderson NH
    as always, a day late and a brain short
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH