Thread: Investing in a laser.

Investing in a laser.

Hi and thanks for the add.
    I am looking to buy a laser cutter around 60w with a 600x900 bed. It will be my only laser and I would like to do engraving and a bit of cutting for large items.
    Can anyone shed some light on or have reviews please on their lasers?
    I was looking at a Thunder, ThinkLaser LightBlade or a Powell P9060. Here's the three links. Or if you have any suggestions I'm open to them.
    Thank you in advanced.

Think Laser
    http://thinklaser.com/wp-content/upl...-2016-6090.pdf

Thunder
    http://www.thunderlaser.com/download...35_catalog.pdf

Powell
    http://www.maxicamuk.com/powell-p9060/

Do a google search under those brands and include sawmillcreek in the search and you will pull forum posts if they have discussed.

Blog Entries
    Thunder is the only one I've had contact with. Seems to be good quality Chinese, if that is not an oxymoron. never heard of Powell, and just a bit about Thinklaser.
    I don't think you would go wrong with Thunder, they have a guy in Dallas area stocking parts and english speaking technician. Yumiko is a bit of a salesperson.....
    She still emails me even though I went with different company.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

You seem to be UK based Aaron? try HPC in Halifax, give them a call and ask for Simon Mallas or Chris Jacobs, they have machines there you can see runno in their weekely demo days. I won't consider buying from anybody else in the UK these days except them

The lightblade is a rebranded Chinese machine..possibly a Weike or a shenhui
    You did what !

In addition to agreeing with Dave, I will also mention that a laser is not an investment, it is a tool that has to be used, usually in conjunction with a range of other tools and skills, and depending upon the application of the specific formula you have, may or may not repay the outlay on a tool that devalued the moment you paid for it. Let us know how you get on. John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

A google search will give you days of reading on the subject, saves a lot of time.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Hey Aaron,
    To speak from experience make sure the laser company you choose has a warehouse in your country. Nothing is worst than not being able to get parts or not having the option for a tec to visit your shop for trouble shooting and repairs.
    Make sure you have your product line mapped out as well, like others have stated a laser is a tool to add to your shop. Not a magic money generator :-) .
    Last edited by Robert Bonenfant; 01-15-2017 at 10:43 PM.
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC