Thread: New To Engraving Need Some Help With Pens

Question New To Engraving Need Some Help With Pens

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and the laser engraving and I was wondering if it was possible if I could get some advice from anyone. I have a 40watt co2 laser and I'm having the hardest time trying to engrave pens. I have a jig made up for doing batches because I do not have a rotary attachment. When I go to engrave my pens (now I'm doing various different pens some with an unknown type of paint coating, I suspect an acrylic base, and some some rubber coated) I've been having some luck with a setting of 600 DPI 50 Speed 100 Power and 500 PPI. I ahve to do about 3 to 4 passes with this setting and I have to rub off residue with an alcohol swab. Any suggestions on how I could do this better would be more than appreciated.

Your experience is the same as mine. In some instances, I was not able to sufficiently remove all the residue and deemed the result unsaleable.

I no longer do painted pens with the laser.

Glad to have you on the forum. Your location and type of machine you have would be helpful to those trying to assist you.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

No advice to offer on coated pens, but when you try bamboo (and rosewood) pens you will be pleased with how easy they are and how nice they look. Not every piece engraves the same (as bamboo is a natural material that varies) but they almost always come out pretty good. Unless you are doing wrap-around designs, you do not need a rotary (nor is it worth the hassle of individually doing them that way IMO).
    Longtai 460 with 100 watt EFR, mostly for fun. More power is good!! And a shop with enough wood working tools to make a lot of sawdust. Ex-owner of Shenhui 460-80 and engraving business with 45 watt Epilog Mini18.

The acrylic pens are most likely a solid acrylic pen blank. I would lower your power to about 60% and speed of about 325mmps. These will have to be color filled after engraving. The painted pens Like others said are unpredictable
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for the help, as for my location and type of machine I have a Spirit GX Laser Pro amd we're based in Guelph Ont.