Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
The line on the dogwood one made me think it was two piece. Thanks for the info.

I know how to cut a spiral groove real quick! An for once I wouldn't swear.
When I started making these I did some research. I found there are as many optimum baton parameters (length, weight, balance, material, handle color/material/shape) as there are conductors. There is one guy who stays busy making house calls to famous conductors and making or repairing their custom batons. From this I got that when making one on spec the details don't much matter! I try to make mine look considerably more refined than the inexpensive mass produced ones almost everyone buys - turned handle with a straight shaft glued in.

BTW, in that earlier picture the first one is holly/kingwood, then one-piece dogwood, holly/gidgee, then dogwod/lignum vitae. The lighter, white holly is desirably visible but not durable. The last one in the picture is a "tap" baton, intended to withstand music directors tapping out time on the stand. Or beating out the time!

In case you are interested, here is another view of these four. I like to taper the shaft so the profile of the handle and shaft together is pleasing.
batons2a_IMG_4996.jpg

To make one of these in two parts, I:
- turn the shaft with a tenon but leave the flare a tiny bit large.
- chuck a handle blank, drill the end and shape the handle most of the way.
- fit the tenon into the hole and refine the final shape of the two pieces while connected.
- part off the handle and jam the handle on something to refine the end, finish.

Some handle shapes from the internet:
handle_shapes.jpg

JKJ