Thread: Air Filtration

Air Filtration

Have an Oneida cyclone system set up but like others, doesn't capture 100% of dust. I am looking to set up an air filtration system. My shop is in a walk-out basement and there are several windows. I am thinking of putting in a large box fan and exhaust the air directly outside. I would wait to do this after I leave the shop because I have read that regardless of what is used, air filtration systems stir up the fine particles and make them airborne so it's best to use them when not present.

Feedback appreciated...

Thanks...

From what I've read, you'll need to be aware of a few things. Directly exhausting outside means the make up air needs to come from somewhere. You need to give it a spot or it will take paths of least resistance like exhausts for your furnace or hot water heater and pull CO back into your house. Also, a box fan typically doesn't have the CFM necessary to clean an entire shop. It will help you're not putting a filter on it. If you doing it primarily as you leave, you may want another source to stir up the dust near the floor or far side of the shop to get it airborne again.

I use an air filtration unit in my shop (as well as an Oneida cyclone), but the former really is only run when I'm spraying (water borne) finishes or hand-sanding. It does a good job when I ask it to do what it does. A "roll your own" solution might be helpful, but the key is filtration...commercial units have more than one filter stage. And as another poster mentioned, you do not want to be sending the air outside and lose your heat (or AC in the summer).

Placement is also important...you want the unit to cause a regular air flow around the shop so that it brings in the fines and circulates the air around the other way. The units are best hung along a wall at ceiling height, mid-way along the wall, for that reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...