Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Sliding Table saw dado question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Courtenay BC Canada
    Posts
    2,723

    Sliding Table saw dado question

    I have a Martin T-60C which has the space for a 5/8" wide dado ..

    The saw has a numerical motorized controller.. Its designed so you type in 4mm or 40 mm.. the blade moves .. and its perfect..

    In order to do that.. you need to tell the saw about the blade.. Diameter.. Etc.. You do this once, then simply pick the blade from a library you built.

    Europeans don't really like Dado blades on Sliders..

    The saw won't recognize a blade under 10" .. The computer simply rejects my measurements.. and the thickness of the blade causes the nut on the arbor to rub on the safety guard if I raise it too high .. which wouldn't be a problem with a 10' .. but I have a Hammer 7" Dado ..

    The Hammer is not going to be the right dado in this case.

    So I need a 10" or 12" Dado ... i would actually prefer 12" ..

    Freud makes both .. The SD500 and SD 600 series.

    anyone else ?


    Or I need someone to say .. no dummy .. you did it wrong.. and then my 7" Hammer will work .. lol

    I'm open to both ..

    Couple other folks on this site are looking at Martin T-60 .. so this post may help them too ..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    LA & SC neither one is Cali
    Posts
    9,447
    There are quite a few but Forrest and Popular Tools both make 10 and 12" sets.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

    Deep thought for the day:

    Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central WI
    Posts
    5,607
    I have both 10" and 12" Forrest Dado Kings on my old direct drive sliders. They are well made. Dave

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Courtenay BC Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Hmm.. I looked at Forrest .. only saw 8"..

    I will look again ..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    LA & SC neither one is Cali
    Posts
    9,447
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

    Deep thought for the day:

    Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Courtenay BC Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Really interested in the popular tool brand. I've never heard of them before. Thanks for the lead, I've sent them an email.

    I've never used a Forrest Dado blade but have a 14" Woodworker II for the saw .. its not my favorite blade. I assume the dado is probably great..

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    LA & SC neither one is Cali
    Posts
    9,447
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Really interested in the popular tool brand. I've never heard of them before. Thanks for the lead, I've sent them an email.

    I've never used a Forrest Dado blade but have a 14" Woodworker II for the saw .. its not my favorite blade. I assume the dado is probably great..
    You might want to talk to Tom at Carbide Processors re Popular, he carries them, is a member here and a good resource. I have used Forrest Dado Kings for years and have always been very happy with them.

    BTW didn't think about you being up north but Royce Ayr may be a better option for you, industrial quality blades and I am sure they do 10 and 12" sets, they are headquartered in Ontario.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

    Deep thought for the day:

    Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Courtenay BC Canada
    Posts
    2,723
    Nobody seems to make one in 30mm .. Not a big deal to have one bored out .. have to do the holes anyway ..

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Virginia and Kentucky
    Posts
    3,319
    I purchased my set from a Canadian company, FS Tools. They bore them for 30mm with the two other slots. FS Tools has a flat bottom on them, not the bat wings, which is a positive. Rod Sheridan knows them well. See post 15:

    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-for-Hammer-K3
    Last edited by Rich Riddle; 01-07-2017 at 8:21 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamstown,ma
    Posts
    996
    I have used many sets over the years- Amana, Forrest, Systimatic, Woodworkers Toolworks, and a couple others I cant remember.
    They all cut well, but the Systimatic is the standout of the bunch, by quite a bit. The main difference is the high hook angle, AND the 6 wing chippers.
    This leads to easy effortless feeding.
    They all make bigger sets, and if they or the saw shop that sells them can't bore your hole pattern, do not bother with them.
    The Forrest cuts clean, and it is a good set, but I do not agree with the negative hook grind on them, it leads to much more force to feed than the Systimatic.
    If you can find any brand with 6 wing chippers, get it. I would avoid any 2 wing chipper sets, especially if you plan to groove plywood. Your feed has to be very slow, or you risk "popping and packing" large crossgrain chips in the chippers.

  11. #11
    Peter is spot in. Systimatic makes a phenomenal product.


    (edit)- They are no longer in business?
    Last edited by Martin Wasner; 01-07-2017 at 9:26 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Posts
    656
    FS Tool makes dado sets up to 14", they do sell them to fit the 30mm arbor with pin holes but you have to provide your own shims. The set I have (8") makes clean flat bottom tear out free cuts even in melamine and cross grain plywood, it is by far the best I've ever owned.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    North -Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I have a Martin T-60C which has the space for a 5/8" wide dado ..

    The saw has a numerical motorized controller.. Its designed so you type in 4mm or 40 mm.. the blade moves .. and its perfect..

    In order to do that.. you need to tell the saw about the blade.. Diameter.. Etc.. You do this once, then simply pick the blade from a library you built.

    Europeans don't really like Dado blades on Sliders..

    The saw won't recognize a blade under 10" .. The computer simply rejects my measurements.. and the thickness of the blade causes the nut on the arbor to rub on the safety guard if I raise it too high .. which wouldn't be a problem with a 10' .. but I have a Hammer 7" Dado ..

    The Hammer is not going to be the right dado in this case.

    So I need a 10" or 12" Dado ... i would actually prefer 12" ..

    Freud makes both .. The SD500 and SD 600 series.

    anyone else ?


    Or I need someone to say .. no dummy .. you did it wrong.. and then my 7" Hammer will work .. lol

    I'm open to both ..

    Couple other folks on this site are looking at Martin T-60 .. so this post may help them too ..
    Rick,
    The most well known tooling companies around here are FS Tool, BC Saw & Tool (who were bought out by Nap Gladu but still operate as such), Royce/Ayr Cutting tools, Guhdo - all around the Toronto area except Royce whoa re in Kitchener.

    All can produce custom blades and/or sets. We've dealt with FS for several decades, but I deal mostly with Royce these days, but have many blades from BC Saw as well (they also deal the Kanefusa line). Its nice to have a few companies to deal with. I find the service from Royce and BC Saw/Nap Gladu very "small business like", ie, I feel even for a relatively small player I get treated very well and I have a great relationship with the people who call on me.

    I had a 12" custom dado set made by Royce, for my slider last year. They can all make what you want, specifically for the materials you wish to cut. Instead of guessing, I generally tell my salesman what I want to do, and the engineering dept. suggests the best blade design (or tooling for the router, shaper) for that purpose.

    For a saw with brake, the pins/key need to be drilled and teeth removed, so the blades will sit without teeth touching one another.
    Andrew J. Coholic

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ouray Colorado
    Posts
    1,035
    I have a Systimatic dado as well. Its also the best one I have owned. I am going to have it bored to run in my T72 Martin. I had been thinking of having a shaper type adj groover made for this saw but the Systimatic cuts almost as clean as these and good enough for what I want to do. I have used a large diameter non adjustable shaper groover in the saw and it works well for wide dados. It is 30mm and limits what it can be used for. The T72 will take up to 32mm wide and the old T75 before that would take a lot more.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    10,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

    BTW didn't think about you being up north but Royce Ayr may be a better option for you, industrial quality blades and I am sure they do 10 and 12" sets, they are headquartered in Ontario.
    For us Cannucks, FS Tools are also a local manufacturer, I use their saw blades and have a dado set from them, very high quality............Rod.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •