Thread: Vicmarc lathe owners

Vicmarc lathe owners

I am looking to upgrade my lathe. I currently have a 3520B and love the sliding headstock feature. It's between a Vicmarc or American Beauty. I've turned on my dad's AB and really like it. I've been looking at Vicmarc ever since I started turning. I mainly turn bowls and my concern is that I won't like not being able to move the headstock. My question in all of this is are there any Vicmarc lathe owners located in Middle Tennessee that would be willing to let me take a look at the lathe to see if it's for me or not? Thanks

I have had my Beauty for 8 or so years, and am also a fan of the sliding headstock. The only other lathe I would consider is the Vicmark. They do have one model that has a pivoting head stock, that is built like a tank. It is the only pivoting head stock set up I have ever seen that is built the way I would build it. I have only turned on a Vicmark once, and while good, I don't like bending over to turn out the inside of a bowl. Yes, I could extend my arms, but don't like that method.

robo hippy

What Reed says x 2. I also have a 3520b and if I ever upgrade to a different lathe the sliding headstock is a deal breaker. It is just too nice to work on the end of the lathe after the tailstock is no longer needed. Oneways make a great product as does Vicmarc but I sure wish they would come up with a slider. I've never seen a Stubby or VB36 in person but they look like a dandy's too.

I own a Vicmarc VL300 and love it. I was saving for an American Beauty before getting a super deal on the Vicmarc. I have turned on almost every kind of lathe short of a VB36 and the sliding headstock isn't an issue for me for the important reason of my space wouldn't allow me to stand at the tailstock to turn. BUT.... You can buy the outboard setup and turn on the back side of the headstock for an massive max turning diameter. I haven't measured it for sure but I would have no problem turning a 4 FOOT diameter table top or platter, ect.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I've also been looking at the Vicmarc VL240 swivel headstock. Glenn Lucas told me that Vicmarc has a heavy duty version of the VL240 that is an upgrade from the regular vl240. I've seen a stubby and like it also. Guess I'll just have to buy one of each

I turn on a VL300 short bed, with tail stock swing away extension. Very solid machine and has turned everything I have put on it, including 24" bowl blanks.
    Have also turned on the VL175, like all Vicmarc products it is built like a tank. The swivel head is very robust, I still prefer to use the VL300. One can't go wrong with Vicmarc, in my opinion.

I also turn on a VL300. If you want you can add an outboard bed onto it. I have one on mine so I have what seems to be two lathes in one. I can turn the outside of a bowl on the inboard side and put the bowl on the outboard side to turn the inside of the bowl. Yes you need the room to be able to do this however you need the room for a sliding headstock lathe as well. All good lathes your looking into.

IMG_0012.jpg

Pm sent to you Dale