Thread: Scroll Saw Hold Down Foot Needed

Scroll Saw Hold Down Foot Needed

I picked up a used Delta 40-540 scroll saw, and with some online parts purchases got it working fairly well, but it doesn't have the hold down foot and I have come to find out that this part is no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion on a substitute for the OEM part, or any other solution to the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Schulz View Post
    I picked up a used Delta 40-540 scroll saw, and with some online parts purchases got it working fairly well, but it doesn't have the hold down foot and I have come to find out that this part is no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion on a substitute for the OEM part, or any other solution to the problem?
    Your fingers are the "foot". No need for a foot. Probably why there wasn't one with the saw. I wouldn't be able to find mine either. Use an appropriate blade for the material you're cutting and you should have no problem guiding/cutting the material.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Your fingers are the "foot". No need for a foot. Probably why there wasn't one with the saw. I wouldn't be able to find mine either. Use an appropriate blade for the material you're cutting and you should have no problem guiding/cutting the material.
    I agree with John. Took the foot off of mine and never used it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Me, too .....

While the foot helps keep the wood from jumping up with the blade stroke I found for my use it was constantly in the way of my fingers and view when rotating the material. There are a few scrollsaw forums I believe and while it has been years since I visited them I remember users saying they almost all did away with the "foot".

Blog Entries
    My foot is pristine as it never even came out of the bag.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler