Thread: Heat for small workshop

Heat for small workshop

I'm in the process of converting a 12 x18 ft. raised ceiling garden shed to a primarily hand tool only workshop. The building will be well insulated and I have access to natural gas. I'm looking for suggestions for a small heater for this space that will not 'roast me out". I live in northern Wisconsin.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    hqdefault.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Linton View Post
    I'm in the process of converting a 12 x18 ft. raised ceiling garden shed to a primarily hand tool only workshop. The building will be well insulated and I have access to natural gas. I'm looking for suggestions for a small heater for this space that will not 'roast me out". I live in northern Wisconsin.
    Thanks!
    As I suggested before. You can get a cooling/heating unit as you see in motels on the cheap used especially if the cooling unit isn't working. They sometimes will give them away if you can find them. If not you can either buy use or new...

I installed a small Williams wall gas unit some 12 years ago, shop just a tad larger than yours. It takes a while to heat it up, but I'm in central Ca and not in Wisconsin where it really gets cold. Think mine is only 12k btu, pretty small, bought at Lowes. You'd need something a little larger I'd think

With the building you are describing - properly insulated - you might consider one or two of these - http://www.radiantsystemsinc.com/#

I have suggested these before in another Creek thread. Downside is that they are electric. The high up side is that they are not blower heaters so dust is not stirred up every time you use the heat. They are very efficient energy wise - very quiet - hang high up near the ceiling so do not compromise any wall space and can be left running safely even if you aren't in the shop. I have 3 - 11' sections in my shop. The shop is always at 60° unless I need more. Easy enough to push a button on the thermostat and get some fast heat. I also have a wood stove as emergency heat and to help deal with scrap wood. I suggest these as an excellent alternatives in a wood shop compared to blower type heaters.

Sam
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-06-2017 at 7:00 PM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge