Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Router Lift, and why?

Question Which Router Lift, and why?

Hello All-

I am in the market for getting a router lift. I had made my own "poor-mans, cheap" version of one that "pushed" the router up as you turned a crank under the router, but it doesn't work very well and it tends to "tip" the router as you crank it up. After ruining a flush trim bit this weekend because of that "tipping", I have decided it's time to get a dedicated router lift.

I'm not as concerned as of which brand of router they accept as I will probably buy a new router for the lift. What I am concerned about is:

1. Would like to be able to change bits above the table. I really don't want to have to use offset wrenches, but if that's what's required, then I would.
    2. Would like to have the thing be rock solid. When it is locked in place, I don't want it to slip or move.
    3. Would like the raising/lowering of the router be easy. I have heard of some lifts that when you release the lockdown, the whole router can slip out.

I have looked at the Milwaukee 5625 Router that has been mentioned on this group that has the built in routerlift, but after reading the posts from all of you, it sounded like it was better to get a seperate lift.

Thanks for your input!

Brad

I like the quality and precision of the lifts made by Incra and sold by Woodpeckers. I use the Plunge Lift, primarily because I already had a Freud FT2000e router. Starting from scratch today, I would look seriously at the Porter Cable 7518 and the Precision Router Lift or the Unilift at Woodpeckers.

http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html

http://www.woodpeck.com/unilift.html
    Last edited by Dave Falkenstein; 10-10-2005 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Add links

There are only a few lifts which will hold the big Milwaukee router. There is a good review of router lifts in the March 2005 "American Woodworker". The only lift at time of publishing that would take the Milwaukee router AND allow above table bit changing was the Jessem Mast-R-Lift.

This outfit is having a sale on Jessem stuff right now.
    http://tool-corral.com/shopsite_sc/s...l/page100.html

Amazon has the Milwaukee 5625 on sale for $258 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...346258-4899325

The big Porter Cable will fit in nearly any lift, but I passed on it after reading some reports of bearings heating up rapidly in the newer models. Check this out before making up your mind on a router.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan Forman; 10-10-2005 at 2:46 PM.
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I've used 3 different lifts. The Woodpeck PlungeLift with a M12V is the one I own. I've also used a PRL and Bench Dog, both equipped with big PCs.
    The Woodpeck lifts require bent wrenches. The bench dog doesn't.
    The Plungelift requires you to get under the table and lock the plunge router attached. The others do not.
    All are of sufficiently high quality to meet your requirements, though the Bench Dog is more industrial strength and priced such.

Jointech makes a digital lift that looks quite cool. They are a company I trust to make quality products. But, I haven't seen this one in person.

JessEm also makes good quality stuff, but again I've never seen or used theirs.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

I have the Woodpecker Plunge Lift for a Dewalt 621.

It works well, for what it is, but I think I will go another way in the future. Right now, the 621 is my only router (just shocking) so I install it in the table as needed. This has been Ok, but sort of a pain, as may be expected. I will probably make or by a life for a non-plunge router based on my experience with this one. I can do above the table bit changes because of the design of the 621 as it relates to table use. The shaft lock is under the table when in place and the collet nut would be awkward to reach anyway from above the table.

However, it is well made and does indeed allow precise up and down adjustment from above the table. It is probably about as well made as it could be. The insert rings are a few thou below the surface of the table and plate, which is not ideal - probably the only beef with it that I have.

The adjustment mechanism is first class with bronze and steel together making for a pretty perfect movement. I must say, though, that the threads are really fine and it takes a while to adjust it up and down.

I may go for another Woodpecker product for a standard router. Like I said, it is well made. I've been using it enough to justify a dedicated router for the table. Also, this way I will not need to make a new router table and recess. I will be looking for above the table bit change.

- Andy

Brad~ I'm investigating router lifts too as I was fortunate enough to recently acquire an older PC 7539 and over the weekend "won" a Freud table top and fence on that nameless auction site. Now I need a lift.....

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Davidson
    Brad~ I'm investigating router lifts too as I was fortunate enough to recently acquire an older PC 7539 and over the weekend "won" a Freud table top and fence on that nameless auction site. Now I need a lift.....
    Todd - the Incra Plunge Lift has an option for the PC 7539 router. The Unilift will also accomodate the PC 7539. See the links in my post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    There are only a few lifts which will hold the big Milwaukee router. There is a good review of router lifts in the March 2005 "American Woodworker". The only lift at time of publishing that would take the Milwaukee router AND allow above table bit changing was the Jessem Mast-R-Lift.
    The September 2005 issue of Wood rates the Milwaukee 5625-20 as the best table-mounted router. That article also notes that the Jessem Masterlift is the only lift that supports the changing of bits above the table for the Milwaukee. So, I for one, have that combination on my wish list.

Router lift

Hi Brad;
    Do a search on this site for "motorized router lift"-something you can make yourself for a lot less money and it works great. Send me a private message if you want more detailed plans. Good Luck
    George

I have to say that I am not that happy with most router lifts. First of all, the majority of them are made from aluminum extrusions. Very light weight but they flex quite a bit.

Second, the main way systems appear to be hardened rod riding oillite bushings. I guess this works but the distance between these rods is not wide enough apart and any slop in the clearances can lead to racking. Racking is where the unit wishes to move to one side or another instead of straight up.

Racking in the lift is easy to fix. First of all, you need to put some real estate between the centerlines of your lifting ways. The farther apart, the less prone to racking. Second, you need to use multiple bushings on the same rods and get some space between these as well. None of the commercial guys are actually doing this right.

The one router lift I did see which I felt was worth a 2nd look was the cast iron bull dog lift. It was heavy, had a reasonable spacing in its way system, had pretty good machine work and relied on precision oilite bushings and hardened rod. The cast iron router flange also had cooling fins cast into it to help remove heat from the router motor.

Being a shaper guy and not a router guy, this item has not spurred me on very much. But I can understand where a router lift can be rather useful. It would be nice to see one in which the router is moved by wide, machined dovetail ways. Maybe I should make one just as a challenge using machined chunks of hot rolled steel.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

I have the Jessem Mast-R-Lift XL with the PC 7518 and couldn't be happier. Change everything above the table. Being able to adjust with the cranl was a definite plus -- It is a littel pricey but worth every penny

Consider a Shaper?

Wow, with the prices on the router lifts and a new router to be mounted in the table you could easily afford a shaper and get the precision you may be looking for and the power in one throw.

I just received the shop fox 2hp shaper over the weekend and will put it through it's paces this week. Very, very solidly built and can take a router adapter.

Of course this will not replace a handheld router's usefulness, but if you're just looking for a table mounted solution you may want to consider the shaper instead.

I got it from Bibb Tools for $630 minus shipping. Search for their store on Ebay and call them directly.

Wallace

Thumbs up My vote

In my opinion the woodpecker QL460. Very rigid Aluminum surface plate ,3/8" thick approximately. rigid plunge engineered posts, very smooth action on the vertical axis movement with the handle adjustment on top, nice radial dial for precision adjustments, very easy to raise the router with the quick-lift, insert the release rod-turn to the right and lift that router write up for an easy change to the next bit. Very well built and engineered piece of professional equipment.
    If you plan on getting a router and get professional results - get the PC 7518 3-1/4 hp with variable speed and soft start ~ that is one heck of a router. Your obviously getting a biased opinion, but in all honesty- I am extremely happy and have never looked back! Well worth the investment ~ even if I did get them on sale
    Hope you enjoy whatever you get!
    Brian

I just saw the video on that one Brian....pretty impressive.
    Gary

Post Yes Gary

Gary,
    Seriously ,,,,, yes ~ very nice lift- but with all due respect to my attention span, there fore- lack of ~ you know, I have to do a better job of looking at the dates on these threads---2005-whoops- He may have moved away , changed jobs, got married, checked the site , got divorced , checked the site , decided to open up a successful dough-nut shop and is living the good life with an umbrella in his libation, do you think he ever made his mind up---yhaaaaa? what was i thinking!
    LOl Brian
    Have a great weekend Gary!