Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which lathe next: Grizzly 0766 or Powermatic 3520b?

Either lathe will net you a considerable upgrade. I think another hit it on the spot, PM is 2" less capacity, heavier beast, shorter bed, easier locking headstock, lower overall height (to turner's elbow). I have the Grizz and I am happy. Now if you were talking a 24" PM...... drools.

Robust is in a different class.....American made. I would love one, but that is not justifiable to the family when the Grizz can do the same, ahem....for now.

For less than $1800 for the 0766 you get a lot of lathe and money left over to buy other goodies.
    I add a 400lb balist box and it is rock solid.

20160704_152930_resized.jpg
    Last edited by Rick Bailey; 12-30-2016 at 5:02 PM.

On that note, does anyone have any idea when Laguna is finally going to release the new version of their Revo 24/36?

I have the PM 3520b and there are very few days it doesn't get used. It is a heavy well built machine and has served me well. I bought it new with a 5 year warranty. Nest March will be five years. The only problems I have had is the start/stop switch has to have the dust blown out now and then and the banjo toolrest lock doesn't work very well, the tool post comes with some extra threaded holes so I put a bolt in one of the extra holes and when I'm doing a large out of balance burl or blank with a knot I tighten the extra bolt. I call those kind of turning bam bam turnings.
    Before that I bought a new Grizzly G0698 the forerunner of the 0766 and the first month I had it I got a Oneway Talon chuck stuck on the spindle and broke out the indexing holes getting it off. Grizzly refused to help me in any way as I wasn't using there chuck or faceplate. I had to drill a hole to use as spindle lock and index hole. The hole for the toolrest in the banjo would not accept my Oneway and Robust toolrests. I drilled it out. The Grizzly toolrest broke before the warranty was out and they were quick to replace it. The Grizzly did about everything I wanted, I bolted it to the concrete floor. BUT I have to recommend the PM3520b. It is in my opinion a much better lathe
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Belknap View Post
    ...The only problems I have had is the start/stop switch has to have the dust blown out now and...
    I haven't examined the switch on my PM but I think it's the same switch as the Jet 1642 lathes. Years ago my 1st 1642 got clogged with dust and quit working. After disassembling and cleaning, I sealed the switch body with silicone caulk and plastic wrap. Fixed that. I probably need to do that proactively with the PM.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I haven't examined the switch on my PM but I think it's the same switch as the Jet 1642 lathes. Years ago my 1st 1642 got clogged with dust and quit working. After disassembling and cleaning, I sealed the switch body with silicone caulk and plastic wrap. Fixed that. I probably need to do that proactively with the PM.
    Sounds like a good idea, the switch is a little dinky thing compared to the push switch it is connected to. I use to just slap the switch when I wanted to stop and now I just push it off kind of gentle like. Seems to work better.
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 01-02-2017 at 3:53 PM.
    Fred

My only comment is that in years of watching I have never seen a 3520b for under $2,700.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Lowest I have seen a 3520b was $1800. Often they are listed over $3000 which to me is simply too close to the discounted retail price. Bearings are better on the Powermatic, don't need to drill out the banjo for a common size. This particular forum has had extremely high advocacy for the Grizzly and subsequently a number of users. Search the forum for a variety of comments and troubleshooting notes.

Robert if you have read this far you may ascertain what I meant. For me and others it is a better lathe, that does not mean the Grizzly is bad just that the 3520b is better.

The other factor I'd add in is to check out what accessories come with the 3520, I'm guessing that it likely has a handfull of chucks, etc.. which could easily make up the difference and then some. Not sure if you're planning to keep the 1236 or not.. and if you have chucks with removable inserts or not. I kind of figure that that is the main bonus of buying a used lathe plus some discount off of retail

I have the 3520b (current model) but have never turned on the 766 so can't compare (the 766 came out after I'd bought otherwise I'd have had a harder decision). The 3520 has taken pretty much everything I can throw at it and then some in bowl capacity. I can imagine wanting more lathe in some abstract sense but mostly in length, I have maxed out the spindle capacity a couple of times (if it comes with the 18" extension that's a $400 accessory and largely solves that problem).

I suspect you'll be tickled pink with either of them

Blog Entries
    I waited too long for a 10% off coupon from Grizzly. Now they've raised the price of the G0766 and the old price is now the sale price.
    I suppose it's good I waited. I've run into a serious health problem and I just learned from a former union rep the company I retired from was able to get a court victory regarding health insurance overturned and tomorrow, as I understand it , I will have no insurance.

How can people put their signature on a contract promising such and such, then later shamelessly decide not to honor it? We traded no pay raises for 19 years to maintain insurance.
    Sorry, didn't mean to derail your thread, OP. Just really upset

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    I think another hit it on the spot, PM is 2" less capacity,

Unless the Grizz is really a 23" swing lathe, the difference is only 1". 3520b is 21". Rudy somehow snuck in an extra inch. Go measure one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post
    Unless the Grizz is really a 23" swing lathe, the difference is only 1". 3520b is 21". Rudy somehow snuck in an extra inch. Go measure one.
    Yeah, never noticed that, but the distance from ways to center is mine is about 10 5/16", which with the curvature would be about 10 1/2", or 21" swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Riley View Post

Dane,
    The 0766 is 22''
    That's if you don't mind the blank scraping the ways.
    See you are in Forestville, Ahh the good life.
    We should chat sometime.
    Shoot me a PM sometime, I would love to hear from someone from home.
    All the best Rick from Occidental.

Dane
    PM sent.