Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which lathe next: Grizzly 0766 or Powermatic 3520b?

I had a Jet 16/42 for about 5yrs and it was really nice. I got a chance to own a 3520b and jumped on it. I love it. So far I have turned a 18 inch walnut bowl and it worked great. Never bogged down. It's a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    I have the 3520b... I can imagine wanting more lathe in some abstract sense but mostly in length, I have maxed out the spindle capacity a couple of times (if it comes with the 18" extension that's a $400 accessory and largely solves that problem).
    Hey Ryan, I agree about the length. I bought a used 3520b WITH the bed extension and still maxed it out turning a hoe handle!

handle_shuffle_hoe_comp.jpg

My used PM looked like new and came with a number of accessories at much less than the cost of a new one. I bought other accessories he had but at incredible prices. I had posted a on another forum I was thinking about getting one and I quickly got private messages with offers. I drove from TN to Maryland and brought this one back in a u-haul trailer. What a great lathe.

BTW, OT, but did you see the kickstarter campaign on the new Electric Eel Wheel 5? I had a weak moment and kicked in.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey Ryan, I agree about the length. I bought a used 3520b WITH the bed extension and still maxed it out turning a hoe handle!
    If I had the space and money (and definitely don't have the space) the 50" would be really handy like twice a year

I could have turned those porch posts my mom wanted in one piece then (well until she decided to not change it up anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    BTW, OT, but did you see the kickstarter campaign on the new Electric Eel Wheel 5? I had a weak moment and kicked in.
    I dropped you an email on the wheels as I was starting to ramble a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Sargent View Post
    Just to point out, I think the tool rest post on that model Grizzly is 25mm, not 1inch. So most standard rests and aftermarket rests from say Robust, etc....won't fit in it. Grizzy's Heavy Duty model lathe I think goes back to the standard 1 inch and I think one of them is even 1 and 1/4 inches for the tool post.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also this might be my first post? Cool.
    I just received my new G0766 (March 2021) and installed a Robust 12" Comfort tool rest on it with no issues. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the tool rests are now 25.4mm, not 25mm. That was my experience.

BTW, I've received 2 tools from Grizzly in the last 6 months (Lathe and Planer) with zero shipping problems. Both are working fine out of the box.

I would have loved a Robust or Oneway, but just can't justify the expense.

Best regards!