Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which lathe next: Grizzly 0766 or Powermatic 3520b?

Which lathe next: Grizzly 0766 or Powermatic 3520b?

I'm considering upgrading from my first lathe, a Jet 1236, to something that will accommodate larger bowl-turning.

Two possible replacements have caught my eye: the Grizzly 0766, and the Powermatic 3520b.

I have a shot at a used Powermatic, through an acquaintance who is helping an estate dispose of some good woodworking equipment, including a 3520b. The late owner was a retired surgeon, so I'm assuming at this point that the machine was well-kept and properly used. Being a model "b", it can't be too old, right? I'm guessing that it will go for somewhere around $2000, though no-one has put a price on it yet.

I've also considered the Grizzly 0766, whose specs are somewhat similar to the Powermatic, in terms of weight, motor, variable-speed drive, swing, etc. That I would have to buy new, and it goes for about $2000.

I'd love to hear from someone who has experience turning bowls on both of these machines, comparing one to the other.

Thanks!

Robert

If it were me I would go with the 3520b. Others will argue perhaps but it is a better lathe,

Thanks, Bill.

Without my being a pest (I hope), could you tell me why you think the Powermatic is better? What is it that you believe you can do better on it, compare to the Grizzly?

Appreciate any insight you or other Creekers can provide!

R.

I've never turned on a Powermatic, so keep that in mind.

I have owned a G0766 since May of last year. 90% of the turnings I do are bowls, usually between 10" and 16" in diameter. I have turned some good sized spindles, rolling pins, etc on it, although I've never done any end grain hollow forms.

There is nothing the 0766 lacks in terms of my expectations of it. I added a shelf & 200lbs of sand as ballast, and it is solid as a rock even when trueing up large unbalanced blanks.

Powermatic is not what it used to be. Their machines are now made in China, likely cast in the same foundries as many of their competitors. Grizzly machines sometimes have their issues, but their support & customer service are second to none. Buying new, there was no way anyone could justify the $2,000 price difference between the 3520b and the 0766. All told I spent 1850 on my 0766, with shipping. And I am very happy with my choice.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

well what we need is a price wanted for that pm 3520b. but there is also bed length difference 7 inches more on 0766 (without bed extension) 2 inches on swing. You will have to ask yourself do I need that now or for future turnings. If so get the grizzly, pm to small. Then there is the flip side is the griz to big for the spot in your shop? your call. I think griz has gotten most of the bugs out of the 0766 ,I have a early one and they took care of me well.

I own a Grizzly G0766, and love it. But I also turned for a week on the PM 3520B at JC Campbell Folk School. If I could have afforded the PM, I would have bought it. The Grizz has more rated HP, and larger capacity, but the PM has tougher more rugged controls (switches, etc.), and a positive spindle lock. And I believe it comes with 120 volt receptacle on the back, and vacuum generator. So, if the price is about the same, and the PM is in good condition, jump on it.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

3520b. I just bought one and considered all of the others but I found the PM to be a little more heavy duty so it justified the extra money.
    Don

Powermatic, 3520b I have had one for 8 years and love it, no problems , great machine. I also have an American Beauty.

I think you're a little low on what a used 3520B would go for if it's for sale at an estate auction. It would surprise me if it went for under $2,700.00. Then you have to consider the buyers premium (if any).
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    I own a Grizzly G0766, and love it. But I also turned for a week on the PM 3520B at JC Campbell Folk School. If I could have afforded the PM, I would have bought it. The Grizz has more rated HP, and larger capacity, but the PM has tougher more rugged controls (switches, etc.), and a positive spindle lock. And I believe it comes with 120 volt receptacle on the back, and vacuum generator. So, if the price is about the same, and the PM is in good condition, jump on it.
    Marc, the vacuum generator is on the Pm 4224 model, not the 3520b
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

11. I have turned on 11 Powermatic 3520b's, many of them multiple times..........good lathe! I own a Grizzly G0766. Performance on my G0766 rivals any 3520b I have ever turned on. I have also had multiple sessions on a Robust America Beauty....sweet indeed, and one session on a Serious SL2542 lathe .......sweet indeed as well! Other lathes I have turned on are numerous, and generally smaller like the Jet 1642 evs, and midi models. This is just to give you a sense of my experiences in turning and the knowledge behind my observations. I could have gotten a 3520b when I got my G0766, but opted for the Grizz because I knew the value and performance from my previous G0698........saved a couple thousand $$$ in the process!

My G0766 has not given me a single problem, and I am one of the first 5 people to own one. It is manufactured to metric spec, except for the spindle which is the same as the PM 3520b, but if you want to use aftermarket tool rests, then boring out the banjo hole to 1" with a twist drill bit and some cutting oil will be needed, and taking down the spindle boss for use with some chucks, [really easy!] There are manufacturing connections in all the Asian lathes.......many of the parts on a 3520b are also on the Grizzly.....I know, I have seen them....quill is identical, design very similar, some parts are same, like the handles that tighten down the banjo, toolrest, etc.

All that being said, if the 3520b is in great shape, and a good price, it is a bit heavier than the Grizzly g0766, so it might be a consideration for you. On recent posts on other forums, I have read of inverters and motors needing to be replaced on a 3520b, and it happens to all makes on occasion, even PM & Jet. The PM has a longer warranty, but if the one you speak of is over 5 years old, the warranty has expired. Just something to think about.

Both the PM and G0766 are fine lathes......Some do not believe in any Grizzly lathe because in past years they were not as good as some of the better known like PM, but they have really come up in the last 5 years! Their upper end models can hold their own with any lathe on the market, from Asia/China. A Robust AB, well that has a 7 year warranty and is made in the USA.......all of which I find desirable!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-30-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo

Go with what you want in a lathe. To me, a lathe is like buying a car....you have to buy what you like in a make/model and go with it. I can't comment on the 3520b because I'm still turning on the old 3520a from long years back. That being said...you'll get lots of feedback here from many others. Take your time and choose what's best for you.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I love these questions! Very few people have both so will probably recommend what they have, assuming they like it!

From what I've read, the Grizzly is fine but my experience is with the Powermatic. I have the 3520b with bed extension and it does more than everything I need it to do. Very well made. I bought mine used.

JKJ

Just to point out, I think the tool rest post on that model Grizzly is 25mm, not 1inch. So most standard rests and aftermarket rests from say Robust, etc....won't fit in it. Grizzy's Heavy Duty model lathe I think goes back to the standard 1 inch and I think one of them is even 1 and 1/4 inches for the tool post.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also this might be my first post? Cool.

15. Quote Originally Posted by Josh Sargent View Post
    Just to point out, I think the tool rest post on that model Grizzly is 25mm, not 1inch. So most standard rests and aftermarket rests from say Robust, etc....won't fit in it. Grizzy's Heavy Duty model lathe I think goes back to the standard 1 inch and I think one of them is even 1 and 1/4 inches for the tool post.

Just something to keep in mind.

Also this might be my first post? Cool.
    Robust does make a 25mm post for their rests if ordered that way. I did bore my banjo hole to 1 inch, and have 6 styles of Robust rests.
    I should have mentioned in my earlier post that I have turned very large/heavy blanks on my G0766 that weighed right at 100 lbs. and have cored with my unit.....it handled it all very well.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-30-2016 at 3:48 PM.