Thread: Problem with Craftsman planer, Mdl 351217480

Problem with Craftsman planer, Mdl 351217480

This is an older discontinued model I have had for some time. it is 13 inch and I bought it new over 10 years ago. It has always done a fair job for me. I have used it for many years on rough sawn hardwood which I have cut and store to dry. I thought I would have to retire it when Sears folded and I no longer could get blades, but eventually I was able to find replacements that seem to work and hold up as well as the originals.Lately finding the screws that hold the blades down has become a challenge, (8 per blade, 1/4-28 x 3/4). Finally I ordered 10 of them online after having to drill out two of the originals.

This brings me to my current problem. When changing blades, facing the output side of the machine, with the cutter roller exposed, on the left side is a release that allows the cutter roller to revolve independent of the forward and rear feed rollers to facilitate blade changes. When you are finished changing blades you release this button from its depressed position to its normally raised position and the cutter roller is connected to the two feed rollers fore and aft and the machine is ready to operate.....normally.
    in a very unsafe condition as I troubleshoot, I have established that while the button is depressed, the motor will run, the cutter roller will rotate correctly. When I shut it off, elevate the button to the full operating position, the motor shrieks as if, and probably is, locked. I have all covers off, everything is exposed, the belt is good and not slipping, the chains are looser than i would like, but serviceable and not available, the gears are in good shape. I have checked and eliminated everything and keep returning to that release for blade replacement, Which I have totally dismantled cleaned and rebuilt to no avail.
    I am hoping within the brainpower on this Forum, someone has had a similar experience.
    He who works with his hands is a labourer.
    He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
    He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.
    Francis of Assisi

Lets try it this way. Does anyone have one of these laying around for parts.I am trying to find the cutterhead pulley, pn 30832.00 and cutterhead lock, pn 30822.00. I am fairly certain therein my problem lies.
    Francis of Assisi

Ok, I give up! Obviously no one on here has encountered this problem or has a spare parts machine hanging around. How about this, Does anyone want a spare parts machine? Motor is good, belt is good, gears are good, in feed and out feed rollers are good and rubber, blades that are in it are new both sides and there are 4 or 6 double sided spares, new.
    I live in KY right next to I65 if you want to pick it up.
    Francis of Assisi

I neglected to mention two things. The Craftsman that has defeated me is FREE to the first one who wants it and I am replacing it with a Grizzly 15 inch helical. Time to step up.

Just some reassurance that you're not raging at the night....!?!
    I'm afraid I can't help with repair advice, parts, or even relieving you of your boat anchor. But I can commiserate - I had a Delta lunch-box planer that I repaired so often, I had cute names for all the parts. It finally went for a dumpster dive, took a dirt nap, sleeps with the fishes, etc. and oh did it feel good!!

Try posting photos at at the Old Woodworking Machines forum. There are a lot of old Crafstman enthusiasts there. The amount of effort people put into restoring Sears tools is amazing.

The planer would be worth keeping around so that when you get wood with sand on it you can clean it up before using the sharp tools on it. I have a delta lunch box planer, and now also a Powermatic 209 20" planer for just this purpose.