Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw stop technology on bandsaw?

The problem with loosening tension is, it's a LOT to do in 1/1000th of a second, and also in order to loosen tension you must actually drop the upper wheel in 1/1000th of a second. That may not be possible at all within that time frame. Perhaps someone with a high speed camera can tell me, how long it would take for say a 26 inch bandsaw upper wheel to fall enough to kill the blade tension. I feel that breaking the blade physically is much faster than trying to drop a bandsaw wheel down (not to mention this may damage the saw).

As for the actual breaking of the blade itself, not sure if a powered guillotine will be fast enough... But if it could be made small enough, perhaps one can be placed above and below both guides, so the blade is broken in two places.

May be more useful for larger bandsaws as used in sawmills.
    Last edited by Tai Fu; 08-28-2021 at 1:31 AM.
    Typhoon Guitars

How about dropping a close fitting blade shroud that pushes your fingers away. Then the blade wouldn’t have to be broken or stopped.
    Charlie Jones

We have a bandsaw mill that runs the blade on trailer wheels with 4.80 12" tires. Every now and then a blade will break, once it's been resharpened a few times. I have seen it throw the broken end a few feet, once it even hit the wall against which the sawdust piles up. Every couple of years on average the broken blade will cut the sidewalls of a tire, if it gets in behind one of them. Operator position makes blade breakage pretty safe since I'm behind the machine, but I would not like to have a thing that broke the blade intentionally on a shop bandsaw.

A little off topic, but why 12 inch tires? Why not something larger as using a larger tire wouldn't expend anymore effort in building a sawmill but it would dramatically reduce blade breakage...
    Typhoon Guitars

These are tires on 12" rims, so the overall wheel diameter is probably 22" or so at a guess.

I feel though vehicle tires like this is probably not the best platform for bandsaw blades. It seems like unless the tire is inflated to insane pressure it has a bit of a give in it, and that give will cause the blade to have to bend more each turn, similar to what a three wheel bandsaw does to blades. I imagine the air must be used as a means to tension the blade but it just makes me think this can cause the blade to flex.

After all I never seen air filled tires in commercial bandsaw at all. The one I just got does not even have tires at all and is not crowned. The wheel is flat.
    Typhoon Guitars

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Fu View Post
    The problem with loosening tension is, it's a LOT to do in 1/1000th of a second, and also in order to loosen tension you must actually drop the upper wheel in 1/1000th of a second. That may not be possible at all within that time frame. Perhaps someone with a high speed camera can tell me, how long it would take for say a 26 inch bandsaw upper wheel to fall enough to kill the blade tension. I feel that breaking the blade physically is much faster than trying to drop a bandsaw wheel down (not to mention this may damage the saw).

As for the actual breaking of the blade itself, not sure if a powered guillotine will be fast enough... But if it could be made small enough, perhaps one can be placed above and below both guides, so the blade is broken in two places.

May be more useful for larger bandsaws as used in sawmills.
    Sawstops drop the entire trunnion mechanism far enough to bury 3 inches of blade below the table in that time frame. Loosening the tension on a bandsaw seems like a relatively minor movement to make in comparison.

The tires work pretty well aside from getting cut occasionally. What I was getting at was just that the blade can have enough kinetic energy to do cut through a tire sidewall after it breaks, and that would be more than enough to seriously injure a user's hand.

if you need this on a bandsaw time to change hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Frierson View Post
    I can't watch this video unless I sign in.
    Never had that happen before.
    Sign in where?