Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Input on Finial

Input on Finial

I am working to finish this HF, that I turned from a piece of flaming box elder, with a finial. I have attached three different finials for you to pick from. Please let me know which you like best. I still have to put a finish on the turning and will polish up the antler if that is what I use. I also noticed that in the first two pictures that I don't have the pedestal pushed all the way down. C&C welcomed.
    Thanks
    IMG_9343.jpg IMG_9342.jpg IMG_9344.jpg

For sure number 3. Very well done

A shorter piece of that antler, perched atop the cove base of the finial (in place of the spire) would look nice! The straight stick support does not work IMO. I have done several antler finials on cove bases and they have been well received.

i should add - horizontally as shown.

Just my thoughts.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 12-26-2016 at 10:06 PM.

I like number 1, but number 3 is my favorite. The finial on number 2 seems to overwhelm the HF. Love the hollowform!

Number 3 gets my vote.

#3 is my vote. In order 3, 1, 2. #1 is ok, but prefer #3.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

#3, hands down.
    C&C WELCOME

3 would be my pick. The antler does not fit the piece, my $.02 worth. Nice piece of timber for the hollow form.

I fully understand the votes for #3, as that is what we are all used to seeing. I have done several of this style of form and finial, as well. But....at the risk of wearing out my welcome in this thread, I would like to offer some additional thoughts as to why #3 is not my choice.

The first is....because that is what we are all used to seeing! So, if one wants to blend with the crowd, do what everyone else does. If one wants to stand out, do something different.

The second is that the top of this form has an Asian flavor with the "pagoda" type of steps and slope. I think a horizontal element works well in that setting.

Third - the box elder will most likely turn to shades of brown and I like the idea of bringing some earth tones into the finial.

While I have done a bunch of "traditional finials", I have also ventured out and expressed my individuality. I don't want to hijack Steve's thread, but just for the purpose of illustration below are a few examples - the one in the middle is hammered copper and the other two are obviously antler.

As I have ventured down this path of woodturning, I have become bored with doing what everyone expects to see, and I care less what others might think about it. While I adhere rigidly to the concepts of good form, flow, proportions, etc., there are countless ways one can explore new ideas. Steve, I encourage you to consider some "out of the ordinary" ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Of the three shown, my vote by far is #2. #3 has become somewhat of a cliche or gimmick, everyone is doing it. As a handle #3 is not exactly the most functional.

Another reason against #3 is having something sticking up like that which is not readily visible looking directly down on it. If an object like this is on a desk or a dressing table somebody bending over could poke their eye with that tall finial.

I always hesitate to comment on art since it is so personal. But when someone asks...!

I agree with John in point. I like the color tie in to the main piece, especially with the contrasting intermediate piece. Possibly I have been saturated with tall black finials on forms. To me #3 is a little too tall but, again, to me, the exact finial might work better on a shorter, "squat"er form. However, art is in the eye and how it looks to you and others is what is important.

To me, the two other finials do leave a better overall impression. However (to my eye of course) #1 looks a little unbalanced, #2 is a touch too big for my personal taste - it distracts my eye from the beautifully done hollow form. I'm imagining I might like the #2 more the size of #1.

One way I evaluate something is to look at it differently. Put it on different pieces of furniture, under a painting, beneath a table lamp, look at it sideways, upside down, through a mirror, with backlighting strong sidelighting, different backgrounds, someone holding it, high on a shelf, etc.

Again, it is your eye that matters. I know I've turned a number of things which I liked but didn't get rave reviews from everyone. It doesn't bother me a bit...

JKJ

I personally don't think it needs a finial. it is a pretty vase and a pretty piece of wood. Let that be the star of the show. Just because you can make a finial does not mean the piece needs it.

Alan

For me when I make a finial (#3) not only the proportions must be exact on the finial, they should compliment the overall turning . I`ve seen many of your turnings before and you have a great eye for detail so far be it for me to criticize . I prefer #2 as it represents a fresh approach to embellishment. Keep up the good work, Scott

My eye goes for #3

I want to thank Steve for posting and asking for C&C, and everyone for responding. It seems that the forum has gotten away from comments about design and execution. I have learned a lot fro past C&C posts and like to see the trend move back to more of them.